LG G4 Annihilates The Galaxy Note 5 In Speed Test!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow I was really not expecting the above results! The LG G4 has some great specs. The G4 has a Snapdragon 808 six core processor clocked at 1.8Ghz and 3GB of Ram while the Note 5 has an Exynos 7420 octacore processor clocked at 2.1Ghz and 4GB of ram. On paper the Note 5 should be the clear winner, but once again Touchwiz slows things down for a Samsung device.

The first round test the speed of app launches. How fast can each device launch particular apps from scratch? The Note 5 is the clear winner in the first round opening apps for the first time blazingly fast. The Note 5 actually has a 7 app LEAD at one point!!! The difference is made in the LG G4's multitasking ability. The Note 5 kills all apps and has to reopen each app from scratch. When it has to reload AngryBirds from scratch it hangs giving the LG G4 a chance to run to the finish line.

This race reminded me of the tortoise and the hare. The Note 5 raced ahead and took a nap while the LG G4 snuck its way to the finish line ahead of the Note 5. Why does Touchwiz force close all apps? It really handicaps it's ability to multitask. Then again you could argue that the Note 5 launches most low intensity apps from scratch so fast that in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter. This could actually lead to the saving of resources causing better overall battery life. What are your thoughts do you thing the Note 5's management of memory cripples the device, or is this for the better.

Caesars

Reaction score
Just another reason to be "meh" instead of having the new note pre ordered. That and I love my g4.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Caesars

Reaction score
Loving my jod!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of people doing their own speed tests and posting them because you have no idea what the devices have on them. It's very easy to skew the results with phones. I'm not saying that what happened here but it is quite possible. I think both are going to be great devices.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Is this really considered an "annihilation"?
Yes because after the initial loading of all the apps, the G4 just blew past Samsung to finish that much faster. And that was after a minute of usage. That time adds up significantly for anyone that uses their phones frequently throughout the day.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of people doing their own speed tests and posting them because you have no idea what the devices have on them. It's very easy to skew the results with phones. I'm not saying that what happened here but it is quite possible. I think both are going to be great devices.

If it makes you feel better the G4 has been used for a month and has lots of apps installed. The note 5 was unboxed the day of the video and I installed facebook, twitter, and angry birds for the video. The LG G4 still won. 0.0

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I actually think this is a better test than some of the benchmark tests that just run through things automatically. This kind of test is more inline with how I use my device. Quite often, I'll get a facebook notification and check it. While I've got my phone in hand and the screen on, I'll skim through twitter, might as well play a level of Angry Birds or check in on my Vault in Fallout Shelter, then someone responded to my comment on facebook.

I notice this same situation with my Note 4 that we see in this video on the 5. Play a game and go do a couple more things, come back and the game has to load up again. They load quick enough, but it's still nice when I come back to a game and see that I didn't do enough stuff for it to have to load and can get right back to playing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think this is a better test than some of the benchmark tests that just run through things automatically. This kind of test is more inline with how I use my device. Quite often, I'll get a facebook notification and check it. While I've got my phone in hand and the screen on, I'll skim through twitter, might as well play a level of Angry Birds or check in on my Vault in Fallout Shelter, then someone responded to my comment on facebook.

I notice this same situation with my Note 4 that we see in this video on the 5. Play a game and go do a couple more things, come back and the game has to load up again. They load quick enough, but it's still nice when I come back to a game and see that I didn't do enough stuff for it to have to load and can get right back to playing.
But at the end of the day how's your battery holding up? If closing things out makes the battery last a full day instead of going dead during the day then the tortuous/rabbit analogy is skewed because the finish line (phone dies) is different. Take away the tortuous nap (plug in) and it doesn't even make the finish line much less win for power users such as us. I'll take a 1/8 second lag over a 1 hour plug in any day.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
But at the end of the day how's your battery holding up? If closing things out makes the battery last a full day instead of going dead during the day then the tortuous/rabbit analogy is skewed because the finish line (phone dies) is different. Take away the tortuous nap (plug in) and it doesn't even make the finish line much less win for power users such as us. I'll take a 1/8 second lag over a 1 hour plug in any day.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I've been topping off my Note 4's battery and/or swapping batteries almost every day after work lately, but I get where you're coming from to some extent.

The thing I don't get is that we tell new users that android does a good job of shutting apps down or putting them in a frozen state so they can be accessed more quickly again until the phone needs the RAM for other processes that aren't in the background. I know that's got its limitations, but I would think that they could freeze those apps instead of fully closing them. For example, when I play a bit of Fallout Shelter on my Note 4, if I just quickly checked on a Tapatalk notification or something and go right back to the game, I still get a "Loading" message, but not the complete start screen. IMO, this means that the system has frozen the game where it was and is now loading back up to run again, but not starting completely over like when it gets closed to make room for another app.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Once they are both Rooted and Rom'd, it will be interesting to see how they look.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Once they are both Rooted and Rom'd, it will be interesting to see how they look.
As much as I enjoy some feature of Touchwiz, I think you're on to something here. Without those extra bells and whistles running, this might be a completely different story.