Less Expensive International Calling Options?

DroidGurl

Reaction score
The reason I went with the Droid is because my boyfriend is going to Afghanistan for a year and we need a way to communicate. The guy at the store showed me the Droid had Skype, well now that I own the phone I see it's a "Lite" version. What does that mean? Can I just download Skype to my phone via the web like I did for my laptop or does that not work?

I do NOT understand this stuff and need to know what options we have if he is on the internet calling me on my Droid, or if I want to call him at a number in the country he is in. I would assume if he is online that it doesn't appear to be an international call...but I don't really know how it works. I also just signed up for an invite to Google Voice but I'm really not sure what that would do for me either.

Anyone who can help me understand what our options are here? Regular calls to his location would be $2.30 a minute, I just can't swing that. Help!

c freeland

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the Skype app on Android, but my daughter has it on her iPhone and her Mac book, I suspect the Android version works the same. She is currently attending college in Italy, we communicate with Skype for Free all the time, she has used the skype app on her iPhone to call us on are phones with no problems without costing us or her a thing and without us having to be online. The advantage to both of us being online when we talk, we can use are web cameras and see each other while we talk.

Last edited:
OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies! I'll look into skype and google voice more. :)