Lenovo ThinkPad On Sale Now Starting AT $499; Shipping August 29th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thinkpad-tablet_optimizedforbusiness.png

You can now pre-purchase the Lenovo ThinkPad Android Tablet directly on Lenovo's website. It has an estimated ship date of August 29th, and has several models and prices to choose from. There is a 16GB model for $499, as well as a 32GB for $569, and a 64GB for $669. They both come with WiFi and 3G support. Here is a refresher on their other specs:
  • Honeycomb
  • 1 GHz Tegra 2 processor
  • 1 GB RAM
  • Front and rear cameras
  • HDMI-out
  • 3-in-1 SD card reader
  • Gorilla Glass
  • Business-friendly security enhancements
To get more info and to purchase one hit the Lenovo source link below. This seems like a pretty impressive version of the Android Tablet for business users. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidCentral and Lenovo

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I love my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop; ThinkPads are typically known for their build quality, however, I think Lenovo's current price point on their new Android tablets is a bit high.

I'd love to get one of these but it's not within the constraints of my budget right now :(

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If it had the ability to talk to an LCD projector wirelessly (via an included VGA dongle or something) and have features for a pen similar to a Promethian board or Mobi tablet, the price point is pretty damn good. But as a usual Android Tablet, there are more than a few out there that are lower in price and very good tablets.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'm surprised it doesn't have the trademark soft-rubber coating that most ThinkPad laptops seem to have. I'm not sure why, but the soft-rubber coating, to me, makes the device feel higher quality.

Immolate

Reaction score
Too expensive. Are there a bunch of potential $500 tablet buyers sitting on the sidelines that somehow didn't go all-in when the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 released, or didn't long ago buy an iPad? I think Lenova is pouring water on saturated ground. Pay attention to Amazon and learn where the real under-served tabled market is.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
Too expensive. Are there a bunch of potential $500 tablet buyers sitting on the sidelines that somehow didn't go all-in when the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 released, or didn't long ago buy an iPad? I think Lenova is pouring water on saturated ground. Pay attention to Amazon and learn where the real under-served tabled market is

I agree that for the specs and the OS, it is too much to pay for a tablet whose sole purpose is media consumption and surfing the net. But that's not what this tablet is about. This tablet is marketed for business, and as a small business owner, I'm more than happy to pay $500+ for a tablet that has an active digitizer stylus with handwriting recognition.

In fact right now i'm typing on an $1100 Asus ep121 windows tablet. I'm not particularly fond of windows, but it was the only machine available, at the time, that did what I needed it to do. I'm in the medical field and I needed a tablet that would let me take handwritten notes and convert them into text for my electronic medical records.

There are a number of business applications for a stylus, and from what I've seen and read of Lenovo's implementation, this is going to be the first real Android tablet to offer a decent stylus. I've already pre-ordered one for my wife to use at her work.

Lots of businesses own convertible tablet-PC's, and most of those cost $1200+. I think if this tablet can duplicate most of the functionality of tablet-PC's, and for half the price, it's going to sell very well to an underserved market.

But I don't think it's going to be limited just to business either. I wish I had my Asus tablet when I was in college for taking notes. it would have saved me having to carry around a bunch of different notebooks, at least, and made studying a lot easier.

Immolate

Reaction score
But I don't think it's going to be limited just to business either. I wish I had my Asus tablet when I was in college for taking notes. it would have saved me having to carry around a bunch of different notebooks, at least, and made studying a lot easier.

I can see the business utility, although I expect the attraction is more for small business than larger field forces. Those folks use more rugged, typically specialized pads.

I think as a student attending classroom courses (they still have those right?), I'd be more fired up about one of those new Asus sliders.