Lenovo Jumps into the Android Tablet Fray with a Strong Competitor

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinkpadtablet-main.jpg

Today appears to be a great day for Android Tablet news. It looks like the company Lenovo is entering the "arena" of competition for Android Tablet Wars with a serious new contender. The Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet is actually very similar to the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. Here's a spec breakdown:
  • 10.1-inch IPS display
  • Android 3.0 Honeycomb
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor
  • USB ports
  • SD card reader
  • microUSB
  • HDMI
  • Wifi and 3G versions
  • 16GB/32GB/64GB Versions
  • Optional Keyboard Booklet and Cradle, ala Eee Pad Transformer.
  • Cisco security software
  • Stylus-like pen input like the HTC Flyer
That's an impressive list of features. They seem to have thrown everything at this device. Lenovo is currently one of the most solid PC manufacturers around. It'll be interesting to see what kind of build quality this tablet has. What do you guys think?

Thinkpadtablet-dock.jpg

Source: AndroidTablets.net via ThisIsMyNext.com

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Stylus.. Resistive screen?
Usb means a thicker form factor...
Just a few issues I see initially

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
Honestly it's all about price with these tablets, most of them have around same specs with a little fluff.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I have to disagree...
Price sets your options but a cheap pos is just that, fluffy or not.
I was in fry's last saturday and saw one that was at least 9/16 " thick with vents all the way around the sides? Brand quickly forgotten...lol
Not all screens are created equal either... Once you're used to fast and responsive... Your skin will crawl at anything less...

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just a few issues I see initially

Probably. But this will keep cost down and allow for higher # of units to be manufactured sooner since capacitive touch screens are the hold up in the other tablets right now.

Not necessarily. And even so you are talking millimeters not centimeters.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The screen will be capacitive, the stylus will be the capacitive type.

If Lenovo was trying to save money they certainly would not have chose the S-IPS type display.

If the stylus input is excellent this tablet will likely find its way into the hands of doctors currently using the Ipad 2 as their digital chart.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

If Lenovo was trying to save money they certainly would not have chose the S-IPS type display.

If the stylus input is excellent this tablet will likely find its way into the hands of doctors currently using the Ipad 2 as their digital chart.

Totally agree with Prime. The Flyer also has a capacitive screen. I don't really see any of the good manufacturers going backwards with screens.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

BlacknTan

Reaction score

I'm a Psychologist and I am eagerly awaiting the release of this device. Aside from not caring much for apple products in general, I've held off on buying an Ipad in part because of the lack of any kind of good stylus or handwriting recognition.

If this includes good handwriting recognition software I will definitely purchase one. I type over 70 wpm, but i'm not about to type on a laptop during a therapy session.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
I have to disagree...
Price sets your options but a cheap pos is just that, fluffy or not.
I was in fry's last saturday and saw one that was at least 9/16 " thick with vents all the way around the sides? Brand quickly forgotten...lol
Not all screens are created equal either... Once you're used to fast and responsive... Your skin will crawl at anything less...

Yea that's all common sense, whichever is why I said specs. Thanks for appleing my orange.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
According to this article by tom's hardware it will have a capacitative screen and will sell for $499.

I'm so getting it if the reviews are good.

I've read about stylus use on other capacitative screen tablets. The screen senses the stylus and turns off input from everything but the tip of the stylus, which means you can write on the thing and rest your hand on it.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
According to this article by tom's hardware it will have a capacitative screen and will sell for $499.

I'm so getting it if the reviews are good.

I've read about stylus use on other capacitative screen tablets. The screen senses the stylus and turns off input from everything but the tip of the stylus, which means you can write on the thing and rest your hand on it.

I wonder which memory amount will be $499. If it is for 16GB then $499 is a bit high. Also, the screen appears to be more like 4:3 instead of the more common Android tablet widescreen. It looks more iPad size.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
My guess would be the 16gb is $499, I really like the pen input though. It would probably be great for taking notes when I start med school this Fall.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Whats the big deal with the stylus though? Capacitive styluses are already out. I use a capacitive stylus to take notes/draw on my gtablet all the time. Also, as someone said before having a usb port doesn't necessarily mean the device will be huge

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
When you use the stylus does it disable touch input from your hand? Like can you rest your palm on it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk