Lenovo Close to $3 Billion Deal to Buy Motorola from Google

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would inject into that comment that the value of Moto was also its build quality (yeah, brand name is a part of that), the rock-solid performance of their radios and antennas, and the history (again...this could be wrapped into brand name), but I wish to distinguish the "name" from the "product" and "legendary performance" where it counts the most - as a wha??? - a transceiver (wireless PHONE.) I just don't see the Lenovo brand and company being able to hold onto that. Motorola is synonymous with the Military, Public Service and other mission-critical communications. Heck, their technology could be given (at least partial), credit for winning several wars and other conflicts. Taking the cellular division of that and handing it to the likes of Lenovo...just doesn't feel so American, so Rocky or Rambo anymore. :mad:

I don't know the history very well, but I think you could pull out the word "Motorola" above and replace it with "IBM," and you'd have a flashback to 9 years ago. I can't either agree or disagree with your comment (due to my ignorance!) but the other impression I have is that anytime I interact with Thinkpad owners (on forums, I mean), I never hear them lament that the brand has tanked. Pretty much the opposite -- that Lenovo has done an excellent job maintaining the build integrity.

Now on the other hand, if you take a look at their lower-tier consumer line, you might come to a different conclusion. ;)

-Matt

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
As for the whole moving to China argument, trust me this one company pales in comparison to the swarms of even small businesses that this current administration has pushed out of the US. Most of the larger companies as well outsourcing in cheap markets say little to nothing for fear of political backlash on public disclosure, such as Microsoft, IBM, and AT&T among many...well, most others.

Focus on the problem if you're going to complain about business exodus, not the result.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would inject into that comment that the value of Moto was also its build quality (yeah, brand name is a part of that), the rock-solid performance of their radios and antennas, and the history (again...this could be wrapped into brand name), but I wish to distinguish the "name" from the "product" and "legendary performance" where it counts the most - as a wha??? - a transceiver (wireless PHONE.) I just don't see the Lenovo brand and company being able to hold onto that. Motorola is synonymous with the Military, Public Service and other mission-critical communications. Heck, their technology could be given (at least partial), credit for winning several wars and other conflicts. Taking the cellular division of that and handing it to the likes of Lenovo...just doesn't feel so American, so Rocky or Rambo anymore. :mad:

Furthermore, China is notorious for taking shortcuts, cost-cutting measures in raw materials, parts supplies, manufacturing and testing to improve profitability at the expense of performance and durability. They're the world's "knock-off" manufacturer and in nearly all instances the product is from somewhat to severely inferior to the true branded version. I also am confident there will be similar devaluing of the Motorola product as well.

I agree with you on all points...the biggest being the idea that they could buy themselves back independently. We need more Harley Davidsons here in the US. I get sick every time I hear of another company having their underdrawers stripped of the contents and being forced to buy Rosetta Stone to learn Mandarin. We're losing this country - what's left of it that isn't already owned by China and other far lesser owners. We're losing (or have already lost), our edge. Heck, even Silicon Valley is practically nothing more than a remote office location for mainland China. What we really need is grass roots revival of "good pay for a hard day's work" mentality here in this country. We're all fat under the belt, living way beyond our means and allowing the Chinese (and other below-poverty workers and dictatorship governments), beat us at our own game, work for peanuts and all the while we're oblivious to the long-term and eventual effect. At what point does China call in their note? They don't have to declare war, they only have to declare ownership and foreclose on the note to beat us.

That is part of the problem "hard days work". You know, when I talk to my grandparents about my work day they look at me like "that's all" oh and I better not dare talk about being tired. Technology has helped make our jobs easier so to increase production but instead of working people have gotten lazier. I think we can all point to the 20/80 rule that 20% of the people are doing 80% of the work 100% of the time. It's the 20% who are busting their tale earning their money while the 80% are crying that they are not getting enough breaks (because 10 smoke breaks and a lunch break is not enough) yet demanding more money. And what make matters worse is the unions are defending the lazy 80% (I am not anti or pro union just making a point). When the 20% speak up demanding the 80% get off their butts and get to work they get labeled a "company man". Excuse me but last I check we are all company men (women) as our paychecks are signed by our company. So yes we need to make "made in America" mean something again. I know personally I have a mac pro and there is a difference in quality for sure. Now does the sticker shock cause a near heart-attack, yes, but there is an obvious build quality difference.

Our problem in America (one of our problems) is we have unreal expectations I guess watching all these fantasy shows have gotten to our heads. We want things cheap (to help us stretch the dollar which I understand), we want high wages, we want quality products, but we do not want to work hard. Basically a lot of wants and the reality is some of those wants are going to have to go away in order for "made in America" to be significant again. But then again this is the same generation that sits back and expects the President, congress, government to do every thing for them and then get mad when it does not pan out like it should. When are we going to get up and take matters in our own hands? Why wait for the government to take care of your community how about the churches, synagogues, and community organizations along with the community people stand up and say "put it on me we got this, we do not need you to handle everything for us". If we start with our families and then our communities, we have the potential to get to point where we are taking back control of our country. Or we can just sit back watching tv and wait for someone else to do it.

jspradling7

Reaction score
As for the whole moving to China argument, trust me this one company pales in comparison to the swarms of even small businesses that this current administration has pushed out of the US. Most of the larger companies as well outsourcing in cheap markets say little to nothing for fear of political backlash on public disclosure, such as Microsoft, IBM, and AT&T among many...well, most others.

Focus on the problem if you're going to complain about business exodus, not the result.

As much as I despise this administration, you can't blame just them, it's been happening for decades.

I guess the part that is still sticking in my craw is just the way GOOGLE did it. GOOGLE sold me on the idea of them giving Moto backing and focus to be a different smartphone company than the rest. Designed here, assembled here, their future here. My Moto X was built "just down the road" in Texas terms. I was sorta proud and I voted my approval by buying one.

The bastages CONNED me! lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That is part of the problem "hard days work". You know, when I talk to my grandparents about my work day they look at me like "that's all" oh and I better not dare talk about being tired. Technology has helped make our jobs easier so to increase production but instead of working people have gotten lazier. I think we can all point to the 20/80 rule that 20% of the people are doing 80% of the work 100% of the time. It's the 20% who are busting their tale earning their money while the 80% are crying that they are not getting enough breaks (because 10 smoke breaks and a lunch break is not enough) yet demanding more money. And what make matters worse is the unions are defending the lazy 80% (I am not anti or pro union just making a point). When the 20% speak up demanding the 80% get off their butts and get to work they get labeled a "company man". Excuse me but last I check we are all company men (women) as our paychecks are signed by our company. So yes we need to make "made in America" mean something again. I know personally I have a mac pro and there is a difference in quality for sure. Now does the sticker shock cause a near heart-attack, yes, but there is an obvious build quality difference.

Our problem in America (one of our problems) is we have unreal expectations I guess watching all these fantasy shows have gotten to our heads. We want things cheap (to help us stretch the dollar which I understand), we want high wages, we want quality products, but we do not want to work hard. Basically a lot of wants and the reality is some of those wants are going to have to go away in order for "made in America" to be significant again. But then again this is the same generation that sits back and expects the President, congress, government to do every thing for them and then get mad when it does not pan out like it should. When are we going to get up and take matters in our own hands? Why wait for the government to take care of your community how about the churches, synagogues, and community organizations along with the community people stand up and say "put it on me we got this, we do not need you to handle everything for us". If we start with our families and then our communities, we have the potential to get to point where we are taking back control of our country. Or we can just sit back watching tv and wait for someone else to do it.

Perfect...I talk about community and most don't even know what it really means. In times of the infancy of this country (and the same with others throughout history), community was the make or break proposition. You couldn't survive without your neighbors, nor they without you. If you needed a building, the community came together to build it. If they needed a hand with a run loose of cattle, the community came together to round up the wayward steers. They did this, simply because without that new building the owner of that farm couldn't produce enough food in your own back yard to sustain you. If the cattle got loose, the meat on your table may not be there tomorrow.

The word "community" is derived from the Old Frenchcommunité which is derived from the Latin communitas (com, "with/together" + munus, "gift"), a broad term for fellowship or organized society.[SUP][1][/SUP] Some examples of community service are to help in church, tutoring, hospitals, etc.

So Community is somewhat synonymous with coexistence, cooperation, communication, corroboration, co-beneficial, unification, etc.. If we don't learn to cooperate and operate in a co-beneficial fashion again, something that we've lost over time in many so-called communities, except perhaps the Amish, our selfish mannerisms will leave us as individuals fighting for our freedoms and security rather than doing so as a unified front. The Internet is perhaps the most influential or contributing factor of this trend, but it started LONG before the internet. It's just in a death-spiral fueled by the speed and access of the boundless reach of the internet. Today, someone in China may be a "close friend" (and could be called part of your community), simply because they are on Facebook with you. The real question is, if your barn is burning down can the person in China help put out the fire?

Edit: I won't ask if the friend in China could help rebuild the barn...they probably could do it faster, than your neighbors (the nearby contractor), less expensively and ship it to you in a cardboard boxed package that could be assembled with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers in 6 hours...but I digress. :blink:

StupidGenius

Reaction score

Really?? You think this started only in the last few years.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey...it just hit me. Could you imagine if we...DroidForums.net members and staff, a true community in the modern definition corralled our massive wealth, knowledge and business acumen and pooled our resources together to crowd-fund the purchase of Motorola!? Heck, if Ouya could get 8.6 Million to fund one new game console, we should be able to raise 3.5 Billion or so to buy Motorola and all its existing technology.

Any takers?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is Google making nice with its OEM partners, who were always very leary of the Moto/Google combo.

Bad news for Android, I think, is that I'd expect Lenovo to push a lot more WinMo devices from Moto.

Now what's really shocking - Google paid $12.5B for Moto, and are selling it for $3B? I know they wanted the patents, but that's a pretty big hit....ok, Google is retain the patents and license them to Lenovo.

If that happens...I have a few options:

Stick with older Moto Android phones
Follow Moto to WP
Try to find another Android phone manufacture with Moto type phone reception.

One reason I kept using Motorola was phone reception. That to me is more important than the OS it runs. And yes...only reason I got rid of my E815 was because the Droid line had the best reception for smartphones at that time. I might go back to flip phones, feature phones. Blackberry....

This sucks tremendously....seems no company is above spin, saying one thing doing another...not even Google. Out of everything Google has done or been aprt of that I didnt like, this has to be the worse...and I thought nothing would beat the 15 min refund period....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey...it just hit me. Could you imagine if we...DroidForums.net members and staff, a true community in the modern definition corralled our massive wealth, knowledge and business acumen and pooled our resources together to crowd-fund the purchase of Motorola!? Heck, if Ouya could get 8.6 Million to fund one new game console, we should be able to raise 3.5 Billion or so to buy Motorola and all its existing technology.

Any takers?

we can try but I think it is safe to say we will build one dollar at a time literally. Or we could collaborate to make our own community company.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe Tizen will be up to snuff soon... just sayin'.

Think that may have been part of this entire secret deal. Samsung gives up on Tinzen, Google drop motorola but keep the patents, Google share...ughh agree to a deal with Samsung that they will share their patent so Samsung can continue making iphone clones with android os on it. Samsung wins, Google wins, Motorola, LG, HTC lose.

But then again Google could still continue with their unbiased relationships with oems... I wouldn't be surprised to see one or 2 more LG nexus devices so on the surface Google can say "see we are still committed to working with other oems".

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I'll keep my droid maxx indefinitely as a relic to times when America owned something besides debt
DROID_Ultra_Boot_Screen_Motorola_Logo_Google_Company.jpg

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
As much as I despise this administration, you can't blame just them, it's been happening for decades.

I guess the part that is still sticking in my craw is just the way GOOGLE did it. GOOGLE sold me on the idea of them giving Moto backing and focus to be a different smartphone company than the rest. Designed here, assembled here, their future here. My Moto X was built "just down the road" in Texas terms. I was sorta proud and I voted my approval by buying one.

The bastages CONNED me! lol

My sentiments exactly! For every story I read that the Obama administration has helped companies stay in the US to make jobs, I read that the administration has done the opposite, so who do I believe? Is it the presidents fault that Google sold Motorola to Lenovo? Is it his fault that IBM sold the enterprise PC market to them, or that they just sold their x86 server market as well? Who care's who's fault it is, something needs to happen, and happen quickly for this to stop. US companies need to build products here in America AND foreign companies should move some of their manufacturing plants here in America. This is the only way jobs will be created, and Middle class enriched.

Out of all the phones I could have bought, I bought the Moto X.
1. It was assembled in the USA.
2. It was not expensive
3. I could use Motorola's Money (w/ no interest)
4. It was assembled in the USA. ( I know I said it twice )

Mobile technology is the newest technological revolution pie, and America needs to not just be consumers of it.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

Any takers?

I say Eff Motorola Mobility, it's now owned by the Commies. I say we crowd fund our own mobile phone company, and proudly laser etch the following on the back:

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too. ...President John F. Kennedy

Made in America.