LED notification light

whitechinaman

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm done with custom roms. For the last week, every night I've installed a new rom, and they work great for about 24 hours, then they start acting really slow, notifications stop, or the whole thing just force crashes constantly. I've tried the last 3 "STABLE" releases of both cyanogen and bugless beast (haha, funny name) along with several others, all with the same results. I like having the option to change the appearance of my phone, but doing so makes it act like the thing I hate most: a windows computer.

So as of this point I'm going to keep it rooted because I'd like to install Debian on it, but as far as looks go, it's going back to stock. After all, what good is a communications device if it cant communicate?

whitechinaman

Reaction score
Great, just reinstalled the stock Verizon OS (2.1-rooted and radioed via rom manager) and guess what? Still no LED notifications, not with the screen on or off. Is there an app somewhere that tests to see if the hardware is damaged? What a pita. And what could have caused this? All the roms I have tried have been well reviewed and revered in the places I found them??

Edit: So I figured if I still wasn't going to get my LED notifications, might as well still have the visual options the ROMs offer, right? So I went back to cyanogen 5.0.6-still no lights. Then not 5 minutes later I got a notification that there was an update available to go to 5.0.6.1...sure, why not? Installed it: still no lights. So I figured after everything that's happened so far, I better check the display settings. I don't know why I didn't try this before, but under Sound and display settings, under the "trackball" settings, there is an entry for pulse notification light, as well as pulse when screen is on. I don't remember seeing those settings before, nor do I know if they are in the stock verizon issue of 2.1, but that fixed my LED issues. YAY! Why on earth it's called trackball settings is beyond me. I suppose whatever other phone(s) have android os on them have trackballs, but methinks it would be nice to rewrite that section for moto droids so as not to be confusing. Hope this can help someone else.

Last edited: