LED notification light

tishabarr

Reaction score
My LED notification light has stopped working. It was working when I went to bed last night, but when I woke up this morning, I noticed its not working. I turned the phone off, and did a battery pull, and still nothing. I don't use the flashlight apps that use the led light often. I've only used that like twice in 6 months. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Do you have 2.1? This is an annoying feature to "save battery life". It only works when the screen is off. I hate this and wish someone would find a way around it.

OP
tishabarr

tishabarr

Reaction score
I do have 2.1, but I don't think thats my problem. I doesn't come on at all. I even went into my missed call app to test it since it shows the notification colors if you select it. Still didn't work.

rjax

Reaction score
I haven't rooted before, but this "feature" is enough to make me think about rooting. Do rooted builds based on the ESE81 2.1 have this "feature" too?

Reaction score
Does it come on when the screen is off? Try to do a test notification but don't clear it out the lock the screen. If it doesn't blink then it maybe a hardware failure. And as far as I know, yes it is a feature of 2.1 in general whether rooted or not. Before I went official 2.1 I was rooted with ultimatedroid and this was getting on my nerves.

rjax

Reaction score
Does it come on when the screen is off? Try to do a test notification but don't clear it out the lock the screen. If it doesn't blink then it maybe a hardware failure. And as far as I know, yes it is a feature of 2.1 in general whether rooted or not. Before I went official 2.1 I was rooted with ultimatedroid and this was getting on my nerves.

Ugh, it's even worse than I thought.

I tested by e-mailing myself. I have Gmail Notifier handling the LED light.

On the plus side, when my phone's screen is off, the LED turns on. If I turn the phone screen off, the LED turns off. But at least when I turn the screen on again, the LED turns back on.

However, if the e-mail comes in when my phone's screen is on, the LED light never comes on, even if I turn off the screen without clearing the notification. I don't have my e-mail set to vibrate (nor do I want to), so if I'm doing something full screen and turn my phone off, I'll never know I have e-mail unless I check for notifications.

Reaction score
Right like I said, its a very annoying feature. I mean really, leds do not use that much energy so its kinda pointless.

balzwin

Reaction score
If this feature really is new for the 2.1 update, they really need to fix this. I did this over and over and some of the times the led blinked when I got a text, and then other times it didnt blink at all. Very annoying.

HDewey

Reaction score
This is so annoying to me. As someone who is hearing impaired, I rely a lot on those light notifications whether my phone is on or off! I thought my phone was broken and even called Motorola by suggestion of Verizon to see if it was due to the upgrade and the level 2 customer service Guy said no way and had me factory reboot my phone to try and fix it! I lost so much because of that...whether you want to lose battery power from using your LED should be your choice because for someone like me, I would rather charge more often then have a useless phone because I don't know I have something waiting. Grrr!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think we should all gripe to Motorola/Google because this is so stupid and annoying. As everyone else has stated it sucks not being able to see that you have a certain message, seems kinda pointless that I went through and set up various colors for different notifications if I can't view them. This is especially annoying when in a full screen app, which is most of them, so I have to exit out just to see if it was worth checking on. AUUUUUGH!

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just putting this out there so you guys know. The cyanogen mod does have working LED's all the time. Whether or not the screen is on.

whitechinaman

Reaction score
Just putting this out there so you guys know. The cyanogen mod does have working LED's all the time. Whether or not the screen is on.

I can't remember which version it was, but I tried the latest cyanogen the other day and the led notifications were gone, which is why I switched to BB, but it has the same problem. And my light is off both when the screen is off and when it's on. Come to think of it, the only time I've seen it working since I've rooted the phone is when I use the rom manager to install a new rom. It will then briefly blink red before rebooting.

I thought I'd check a few things before I posted: I've got a profiler switching app and the pulse notification light is set to on. I also downloaded an app called gmail notifier that is supposed to fix this problem, but still no light. Did I fry it? I enjoy the choices I have with a rooted phone, but if I dont get any notification lights, I might have to go back to stock :(

Edit: after rebooting my phone, the gmail notifier works, but only when the screen is off. I also have an app called missed call that works for missed calls and sms, but the light stays solid rather than blinking no matter how I set it.

Being that most other people with rooted phones aren't having this issue, I must have done something wrong. Help, anyone?

k9cop

Reaction score
Mine stopped working a few days ago also. Would not get a LED notification for anything; missed call, text, low battery, nothing. The screen would be off and I would never know that I got anything. Uninstalled Handcent, since that's the only app I could think of that I had that modified any LED settings on my phone, didn't help. Took phone in to Verizon and after about 2 hrs of them messing with it, they had to give me a new droid. They said it was a hardware malfunction.

Wasn't too bad though. Had all my apps backed up w/ Astro and didn't loose anything.