Led blinking red then green

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Sitting in front of an apple store because my kid broke his ipod. Decided to watch some netflix with the phone plugged into the truck. After about 5 minutes the led indicator started blinking red green over and over. Unplugged it and it still did it for a moment then stopped. Plugged it in watching netflix and it starts again. It is a micro usb from Verizon and has never done this before.

Any ideas??

From my Rockin Rezound

sparacing

Reaction score
Sitting in front of an apple store because my kid broke his ipod. Decided to watch some netflix with the phone plugged into the truck. After about 5 minutes the led indicator started blinking red green over and over. Unplugged it and it still did it for a moment then stopped. Plugged it in watching netflix and it starts again. It is a micro usb from Verizon and has never done this before.

Any ideas??

From my Rockin Rezound

I noticed the same thing...pretty sure it's when you are charging the phone and have an alert (text, email, etc) that is still up. So it flashes the LED to show that you have an alert and are charging the phone.

-S

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
So I called htc and asked them and they had no idea what it was. Said it might have been some kind if glitch. Will just have to see if it happens again.

From my Rockin Rezound

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing...pretty sure it's when you are charging the phone and have an alert (text, email, etc) that is still up. So it flashes the LED to show that you have an alert and are charging the phone.

-S

Nope. Just tested that theory. When there's an alert while charging, the notification light stays the same....steady amber. I like your idea better. :biggrin:

RH

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Notification Light Flashing Green/Amber

I had this happen to me the other day. The phone was extremely hot as well. I contacted HTC Support. Here's the reply I received. If this happens to me again I'll enter the code and check my battery temperature.

RH

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support. I am sorry to hear that you can not find an answer for the flashing green and amber light.

The flashing green light means you have a pending notification. Flashing orange light means the battery level is very low. Solid orange light means that the battery is being charged. It just may be flashing because you have a notification and flashes back to orange because it is on the charger. Or it may mean that it is losing it's charge. Have you noticed anything like this?

You can take the phone and charger to a Verizon store and have them tested.

Having said this, we should check to see if the phone is overheating. The quality of HTC's products are of paramount importance to us. To ensure your phone is not overheating, please check the temperature of your phone via the onboard temperature gauge.

Dial *#*#4636#*#* A menu will appear. Depending on your android version, you may see some or all
of the following options.

Phone Information & Wi-Fi Information :
Please do not enter these 2 areas for any reason. Modifying settings in here can cause irreversible damage to your phone.

Battery Information, Battery History, Usage Statistics
These areas are safe to view, and have a variety of options including CPU usage, Network usage,
GPS usage, Sensor usage, Partial wake usage, and Other usage. You can then set the next menu to
a timeframe. Choose from Since last unplugged, Total since boot, and Total All time.

Within 50 degrees Celsius is considered normal and within the specifications of the phone,
meaning that the phone will function normally at that temperature. Over 50 degrees and the phone
should stop charging automatically. If your phone is going over 50 degrees, please contact HTC repairs: HTC RMA Center, 1-888-617-1113 (8 AM - 8 PM EST 7 days per week).

As for what happens when the phone is fully charged, once the phone reaches maximum charge it stops charging and starts using the battery life. The time at which the battery stays at [maximum charge] should be as short as possible. Prolonged high voltage promotes corrosion, especially at elevated temperatures. The reality is that the battery was only at 100% capacity for a brief moment, after which the battery management system allowed it to slowly dip down to around 99%. Leaving the phone plugged in overnight does not make a difference: the phone only uses the wall current to maintain a partial charge state.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and I thank you for your patience and cooperation while we help you resolve this troubling matter. As always, we are here to answer any technical questions or concerns you may have between 6am to 1am EST, 7 days a week for your convenience, or by phone at 1-866-449-8358. Please provide your serial number.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question.

Sincerely,

Carol

OP
D

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I have not have had it happen again. Even when watching and charging it. Oh well maybe one time thing

From my Rockin Rezound

nbucko

Reaction score
You guys are missing the easy answer here. Its because its Christmas and your phone is trying to bring you some Christmas cheer.

sparacing

Reaction score
Nope. Just tested that theory. When there's an alert while charging, the notification light stays the same....steady amber. I like your idea better. :biggrin:

RH

Yeah, I noticed the same thing the other night when I plugged it in and I had alerts up...and strangely enough...I haven't had it happen again on my phone period. Now I'm perplexed....

I can say that my battery was never hot, so I don't know if it's related.

I do like the Christmas theory... :D

clonehappy

Reaction score
Just had this happen to me, so I checked my battery health. Lo and behold, it said "Overheat" as the health status. The temp was at 48.5 degrees celsius, but I assume it probably reached 50 then shut the charger off to let it cool down, as it was cooling down when I checked it. I have the extended battery, as well.

Mind you, I am streaming a private 256kbit/second audio stream over 4G in a marginal 4G reception area with mobile hotspot running and a remote desktop terminal session running over the hotpot, while the phone is laying on a bed charging. The overheating doesn't really surprise me, in this case. But I would assume any time the LED blinks red/green while plugged in is an overheat condition.