Launcher Pro Memory Settings

bump47

Reaction score
Could someone help me with the new memory settings for Launcher Pro Beta? I realize that every droid is different and all that but I would still appreciate yall's input. Every since the last update my phone has lagged a but when exiting apps and browser/market. Any ideas as to what memory settings I should change it to? Thanks!

Riley

Reaction score
I have 5 screens and many widgets. I think I have mine on light as a preset. I'll go have a look. Yup.

OP
B

bump47

Reaction score
Ok, I have 9 widgets on 5 screens and I'm currently set to Moderate. Should I try Medium? And what exactly does this do? I guess that would help me understand where I should set it at

DroidxRage

Reaction score
From the site release notes at LauncherPro

Warning: This update is mainly targeted at people having memory-related force-close issues, so if you’re not having any of those you’ll find this update pretty uninteresting (I did include something for you though!).

Ok, so the new Memory Usage option was very well received and seems to have solved a lot of issues for many, so I’ve decided to take it a step further. I’ve added an entire category in the preferences dedicated to memory management. Here you can tweak all the memory usage options for LauncherPro and make your own profile.

The old Memory Usage settings are now presets of these new settings. The “Light” option is now the “Moderate” preset, and there’s three new presets: Light, Low, and
Very Low. Try them out and find the configuration that works best for your setup.

There’s also newer memory usage options that weren’t available before, namely the type of caches to use for homescreens, and the option to disable caches altogether.

The normal cache type is the one LauncherPro has always used. The compressed type will save quite a bit of memory but might affect scrolling speed (on certain phones only, make sure to give it a try). The light type will save even more memory and might even run better than the compressed type on some phones. There’s no one-size-fits-all setup on Android, different phones have different hardware and different builds of the operating system. Please give these new options a try and see what works best for YOU.

Here’s a short log of what’s new in 0.6.4:

Fixed some force-close issues when removing packages from the Market in Froyo
Improved some code which should make screen rotations a little bit faster. Please note that android KILLS the homescreens when rotating, so all widgets, icons, etc. have to be redrawn. That’s just how Android works.
New “Memory Usage Settings” screen on the preferences.
New option to disable homescreen caches.
New option for normal, compressed, and light homescreen caches.
New option: outline highlights. These are like the glow highlights only they are a solid outline around the icon, so they are more visible than the glow highlights. You can choose between Classic, Glow, and Outline highlights under Appearance Settings on the preferences.
That’s it for now. Next version should include some fixes for Froyo (thanks Google for once again releasing the source code too late so us developers now have to scramble to fix whatever the new version breaks in our apps). After that, it’s back to adding more features and more eye candy

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
So, what is a good starting point for these 2 settings? I tried "medium" for mem usuge preset and normal for home screen cache type.... Also, is using the "keep in memory" button advisable? (it says experimental and may cause instability). I'm still playing with settings, but the only problem I've had with LP is a lag when coming out of sleep mode. Icons and BW slowely pop in.. then its fine. Running KangerageV4.0.7 btw...

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I haven't touched my settings since I loaded the new ADW. I have yet to fill my homescreens back up, but I was getting the same lag coming out of sleep, where it takes a while to draw the widgets/icons. I'm going to play around with the settings today a little later, will report back.

OT: I just picked up a WRB 2010 STi Special Edition this week, loving life! :D

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great topic. Didn't even notice those settings. Things are a bit better already.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I haven't touched my settings since I loaded the new ADW. I have yet to fill my homescreens back up, but I was getting the same lag coming out of sleep, where it takes a while to draw the widgets/icons. I'm going to play around with the settings today a little later, will report back.

OT: I just picked up a WRB 2010 STi Special Edition this week, loving life! :D

Still OT: Sweet man! How do you like it and do you have any mod plans? I guess PM me so we can stop threadjacking :)

virus786

Reaction score
Are you using the setcpu widget? I was also experiencing bad lag coming out of sleep mode. Took me forever to figure it out, Finally realised it was the widget. if you are using it remove it and see if that helps.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Are you using the setcpu widget? I was also experiencing bad lag coming out of sleep mode. Took me forever to figure it out, Finally realised it was the widget. if you are using it remove it and see if that helps.

I have one instance of that widget... I'll keep that in mind if I continue having issues. But that could also involved how SetCPU is actually configured...

One issue I just think I improved was one involving having widgetlocker/quickdesk/launcherpro all running. I switched back to having quickdesk be the "home" app (disabling the widgetlocker helper thing), and some weirdness I was experiencing seems to have improved. Widgetlocker still seems to be fine without the helper enabled.

chomorro

Reaction score
This thread made me look into my launcher settings. Figured out my dock was scrollable LOL. This whole time when I saw the crosses I thought the launcher had screwed up and I restarted it....... cool feature ;)