Launcher Alternatives?

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used Nova Launcher since...well since forever lol. However, they were acquired by a data collection company this summer. Apparently they kept the same development team on, and Kevin Barry has stated that they will remain in control of things. A buddy sent me the following quote, and I can't find the source for it...

"Barry likens Branch needing Nova Launcher to Google needing its Pixel devices but reassures users that the original team remains in complete control, steering development efforts for Nova Launcher and Sesame Search. The team promises that Nova won’t devolve into a run-of-the-mill Android launcher with subscription-style paywalls, intrusive tracking, and advertisements. The monetization model also won’t be changed significantly, and Nova Launcher Prime will still be a one-time purchase to unlock all the advanced features. Moreover, most of the new Branch-enabled features would be opt-in and completely optional."

Here is Nova's page discussing the aqcuisition...

Here is Nova's privacy policy...

I am sure this is not too big of a deal, but I have decided to move on for the time being. Quite frankly I am struggling to find a decent launcher. I am currently using the stock home launcher, which is probably the first time I have ever done that. On Pixel is actually not too bad, and you get some added benefits such as app transition animations. Unfortunately customization is still really limited, and it doesn't quite cut it.

In testing different launchers, it has struck me how amazing Nova really is. Right out of the box it is almost perfect for me, and everything is so intuitive. Removing Nova from my phone has almost felt like removing an old friend lol.

Has anyone found a decent alternative to Nova? Or one that is similar?

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm not planning on leaving Nova anytime soon, but I've used Lawnchair which is a Pixel launcher type with some options

They have a store and different builds ..

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not planning on leaving Nova anytime soon, but I've used Lawnchair which is a Pixel launcher type with some options

Thank you my friend. :)

pchain

Reaction score
I have used Nova for so many years until last year when it wasn't working correctly with my Galaxy S10 plus. I uninstalled it and could not find a launcher that offered everything Nova did so I just used the stock Samsung One UI begrudgingly. Now with the Pixel 7 Pro I'm back to Nova and it feels like home again. As far as data security and privacy, I just assume now that none of us has it anymore so I'm not too stressed about it. Haha

The closest alternate launcher I liked was Apex. I had used it many years ago and it looks like it is still around. Might be worth a look, but probably have to buy the pro version for the better features.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra

I like Lawnchair, was using it on my P6Pro.