Latest software update made my X a P.O.S.

4DCustoms

Reaction score
Just as it says, I got the download this morning, did it as I got ready for work. As soon as I turned the phone on there were issues. The unlock screen was freezing, you could hear the audible buttons on the home screen being pressed. Programs freezing. Pandora froze on the loading screen several times throughout the day while music played. I have never in the almost year since owning this thing had the "force close" message so many times. I even had calls being dropped several times today it was like I hung the phone up. Funny enough one was a telemarketer. The whole thing is slow now and to top it all off it killed the battery today very quickly. What do I do?

My pc is down and has been for a while so software backup is next to impossible for me to do a factory reset.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP

4DCustoms

Reaction score
This was not Gingerbread by the way. I actually liked most of what that did. I worked around those tech issues.

RichSithus

Reaction score
Sounds like EXACTLY what happened to my Droid X after installing the latest update yesterday... My battery life is cut in half...can't send texts...the problems go on and on...

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Can I ask if you're rooted? If so, then go into CWR and wipe dalvik. Then I would run fix permissions in rom manager to help as well. Hopefully those two things get you back on track.

OP

4DCustoms

Reaction score
No I am not rooted.

Big Fish

Reaction score
This is exactly why updating scares me. I got the message today that it downloaded the 605 update, but I didn't install it yet.

cubsfan187

Reaction score
No I am not rooted.

I would root and try those two things and see if that helps. If not you can always sbf back with the .602 file and take the update again. Then if it does the same thing, I'd take it to VZW and complain.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Find a good Verizon store and get them to reflash the phone. You've got a bad install of the update (imho).

Good luck.

leftspin

Reaction score
Just try to SBF to .602 and don't take the update, you can get it done in less than a half hour if you just use a computer at your town's library or borrow a friend's or something. You don't really need the .605 update unless you're having keyboard issues with .602

OP

4DCustoms

Reaction score
Hey Cubsfan, I've been browsing forums trying to find someone with help for root issues. Keep in mind I rooted with a tutorial the first time :) After installing this morning, I realized my firewall wasn't working. I can no longer access Droidwall, consequently burnt through 8 mb of my 100 mb of data with page plus today while the phone laid in my locker at work. That was AFTER I had turned it off, and the phone decided to turn itself back on. I'm not so happy with the update so far, but it just takes getting used to. Have had a few freezes that I have never had on this phone before. Anyhow, wondering if you, or anyone else, can help my figure out whether I need to root the phone again, or how to get everything back to normal on my phone as far as the firewall, etc. I checked under super user, and still have full access granted to Droidwall.

Hey Threadjacker, bad form. You should try to pm him.

heidigoseek

Reaction score
Deleted my post....sorry. Will go look for help somewhere else, my first time using these forums. Looked in the wrong place for help I guess and I don't know how to pm him.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Deleted my post....sorry. Will go look for help somewhere else, my first time using these forums. Looked in the wrong place for help I guess and I don't know how to pm him.

Don't sweat it. It's not a big deal. You're new and need help and you did not get a very good welcome from someone with 7 posts.

You can pm someone by clicking on their screen name and one of the options will be to pm him.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Overall you'll find this a very friendly place and ALMOST everyone will be willing to help you.

pool_shark

Reaction score
The people that have the most trouble after an update are usually those who didn't do a factory reset either before or after.

cubsfan187

Reaction score

You can start your own thread about it as well if you want. But I would be more than happy to help you if I can. Just let me know.

Natey2

Reaction score
The people that have the most trouble after an update are usually those who didn't do a factory reset either before or after.

Factory reset after every OTA??
Google/Motorola/Verizon better get together and fix their bug, rather than have all of us Factory Reset our phones regularly.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.