Last minute gift

y0manda

Reaction score
As I do every year and wait till all shops are about to close before I do my xmas shopping. Without looking around Best Buy I went straight to the samsung tablet and said I want one. I am a die hard droid user and decided this will be a perfect gift for the wife since she has a moto droid herself. I got the month to month thinking it would only be $20 + $499 + tax it ended up being almost 600 and my next vzw bill will have an additional $75 balance on the next bill :icon_eek: I am having second thoughts on the tab, as I do not need 3g because I can tether if needed from droid. I also don't need an increase on my already $200/month vzw bill. I know I can ditch the month to month and just use wifi but I feel like I paid for a feature I don't need. For my wife and hearing from her that she thinks the iPAD is cool, I should have listened. I may ask her not to open the box and wait till after xmas to exchange for an iPAD considering it has a bigger screen, same price, and it's for a woman. I know you guys are probably wondering, why am I posting this here or even considering an iPAD. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

droidftw1

Reaction score
Tonight my parents let me open 2 gifts and what do you know I got a galaxy tab. So far it had been amazing and i don't know what I could do with out it. I'm 14 and its petty simple. I'm no noob to android. I have a droid 1 rooted and romed. So far im liking the screen size and all the features. I might return aftet I see what motorola announces at ces. Even if you open it you have 30 days to return so you might as well have her open it. Typed on a galaxy tab.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App

LaFemme

Reaction score
I will be honest, I have an iPad... I really like it 90% of the time. I needed a tablet about 5 months before the Galaxy Tab came out. I just couldn't justify waiting, esp since I do need the larger screen, 7in just won't cut it for me (I use it as an eTextbook). It took soome getting used to, adjusting from android to ios, but most of all, I miss having quick access to apps through widgets. Imho, it really depends on what your wife will be using it for. Casual eReader? Def not something I would recommend the iPad for. I agree about the tethering... I went with the wifi version of the iPad for just that reason. No reason to pay out twice. But the iPad is much more limited than the Galaxy Tab...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score
That's why I personally ordered the 250 gb Archos 70 internet tablet. Wifi only and about 300 bucks. The 8 gb vers cost about 250.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

jstuart83

Reaction score
That's why I personally ordered the 250 gb Archos 70 internet tablet. Wifi only and about 300 bucks. The 8 gb vers cost about 250.

i had the achros internet tablet 5 and its a bit laggy i was very dissipointed with it i have had the Verizon tablet and i took it back and got the att version because of the extra on board memory and with the latest firmware flashed to it it runs like greased lightning i also know that best buy has one of the tabs for 499 now i personally think that the price is well worth the hardware and power of the device if your comfortable in rooting and flashing firmware you can also hack the tabs to make calls although the att version is easier due to the sim card technology

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I saw youtube videos of the archos, despite its 256 mega ram it didn't appear to be that laggy.

Now that's the archos 70, with a 1 ghz processor and opengl graphics.....

OP
Y

y0manda

Reaction score
Just as I had expected, my wife wants to exchange the galaxy. Not for the iPad but she is willing to wait for the motorola tablet. This will be her laptop replacement since hers is getting old. This is something I can't quite get, tablets are the future of portable computers, they are lighter, more slick, touch screen, etc, with that said, why did samsung release such a small one? I mean anyone who would buy an android tablet, probably already has a droid phone, and forking out $600 for an exact replica that only has a 7" screen isn't worth it. The customers who are buying tablets are buying them as laptop replacements. I think samsung hurt themselves on this device considering its not even a tablet but an oversized pda. Now, I'm sure there are those who belive this device is a perfect size for their needs, and that a larger screen would be less practical to carry around given that you are probably correct. But wouldn't carrying a droid phone and a galaxy around be just as impractical?

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Not a complete laptop replacement, but a netbook replacement..

Nothing can touch my 17.1" Cleve D901c for gaming, its still in the upper crust of graphics and computing even tho its almost two years old.

Guitar4Him

Reaction score
After using my Galaxy Tab for a while, I think the 7" screen is the perfect size. I can carry it in my front jeans pocket and yet, the screen is big enough for internet browsing and editing documents using Documents To Go. For me, the IPad is just too big to carry around....I'd rather carry a netbook.

Ken

LaFemme

Reaction score
I would agree that a 7in screen is perfect for most things. But it really is, as previously mentioned, a big pda or smartphone. And yes, Samsung hurt themselves by not having a 10in version... when there is an android option (archos doesn't meet the grade imho), I will definately be looking to upgrade. =)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Aalina

Reaction score
Its quite interesting and strange that you do shopping in this way means in the last moment when
it sounds interesting and attractive . there are lots variety of gifts on the occasion of xmas.