Lapdock 500 Webtop 3.0 Tips & Tricks

jaybogg

Reaction score
What browser does everyone prefer on the lapdock? I am running the stock browser and Chrome and find Chrome a bit better. The stock browser is a bit blurry when I scroll, and then resolves all pixels. It is almost instantaneous, keyword being almost. Still a bit annoying when you haven't seen that kind of performance (or lack thereof in years and years). I closed the stock browser and opened Chrome. images stay sharp, even when scrolling. Another thing I noticed in Chrome is that when I select something such as the small page number buttons here on droid forums, A magnified box pops up showing about 2 1/2 of the page number boxes. I click the page I want to go to in the magnified box, and it goes to that page. Only happens occasionally, it seems like Chrome is saying we couldn't tell which page you were trying to go to so here is a larger image so we get it right. Pretty cool feature, my windows chrome doesn't do this.

bocabean

Reaction score
I really cannot not decide. I keep going back and forth between Stock, Chrome, Dolphin and Firefox. They all seem to have similar functionality for me. When I want to be sure that I am not going anywhere dangerous, I use the stock browser because that is the only one that works with the Lookout app. It might be a false sense of security because one never knows how good the AV apps really are, but why risk it?

jaybogg

Reaction score
Here's a simple fix I made for 100 users who can only use USB drives for memory expansion on their lapdock. I wanted the memory with me, but obviously, it would be subject to breaking off if plugged in, loss if I carried it loose. Redneck fix? I tied 2 hairbands together and tied to the base of the lapdock tether cable. I realize most USB drives come with a tether, but I wanted one that would stretch in case it snagged on something so as not to damage the lapdock tether cable. Admittedly redneck (couldn't find a rubberband!), but hey, it works!!:biggrin: One of those key chain "quick disconnects" between the two hair bands would come in handy so I don't have to pull the hair band off the lapdock cable to share the stick but alas, don't have one (yet).

2012-09-13_09-03-48_49.jpg2012-09-13_09-04-26_756.jpg2012-09-13_09-05-18_812.jpg

pftwanger

Reaction score
I've done various google searches on Webtop 3.0 and there is surprisingly very little about it other than the press releases and previews from Apr-Jul this year which all read about the same, very generic and little detail. I too hang on to way too much, but I think this was a good find from my initial impressions. More reason I feel we will have to support each other as I predict these devices will have niche following very quickly

Jaybogg: Continuing from Paris--sorry for the temporary blackout. Your comment about the lack of webtop info is pertinent. Based on how different webtop is from Android, I've always guessed that it was an entirely different disk partition--like having dual OSes on a PC. As long as JBean is willing to permit dual boots and ignore what else is on the Disk, then IN THEORY Webtop could exist in a static state for the foreseeable future. But if Moto uses an update to simply remove it entirely, then we OG RAZR owners who love our Lapdocks would have to think twice about making that update.

Why would they remove it? I could speculate on three reasons. It would simplify/speed up the product test/release cycle. It would give back some hard drive space on the root SD card to the end user. But here's the kicker: As it exists now, the Lapdock could eat into tablet sales for Motorola and every other Android tablet manufacturer. That's a lot of ticked off Google manufacturing partners!

I want to continue your browser discussion but I'm on very low battery, so more later...

bocabean

Reaction score
I think that pftwanger makes an excellent point. Somehow someone has to recognize that certain products fit certain needs and that we shouldn't all have to run out and by what the marketing guru's demand that we buy. I have my Lapdock 500 parked next to me running with an RDP app and it is essentially an extra Windows based computer running right along this laptop. I don't need to mess around with a folding case to keep my FOURTEEN INCH monitor standing upright or mess with another keyboard (granted the LD does not have the best keyboard), and if needed I can plug into an ethernet port. Also take calls while I am using the dock.

It is simply a different device and should not cause fear that tablet sales will suffer. I am still considering a tablet for other uses, however I haven't found one that suits my needs yet. The dock gives me the best of all worlds. I am not saying this because I invested in all of this tech 3 months ago. I am saying it because it was the exact solution that I sought.

bocabean

Reaction score
Just one other thought. The ones that should worry should be the netbook guys. I gave up on my Toshiba Netbook as it is soooooo sloooowwwww compared to the Raz/Dock combo.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Jaybogg: Continuing from Paris--sorry for the temporary blackout. Your comment about the lack of webtop info is pertinent. Based on how different webtop is from Android, I've always guessed that it was an entirely different disk partition--like having dual OSes on a PC. As long as JBean is willing to permit dual boots and ignore what else is on the Disk, then IN THEORY Webtop could exist in a static state for the foreseeable future. But if Moto uses an update to simply remove it entirely, then we OG RAZR owners who love our Lapdocks would have to think twice about making that update.

Why would they remove it? I could speculate on three reasons. It would simplify/speed up the product test/release cycle. It would give back some hard drive space on the root SD card to the end user. But here's the kicker: As it exists now, the Lapdock could eat into tablet sales for Motorola and every other Android tablet manufacturer. That's a lot of ticked off Google manufacturing partners!

I want to continue your browser discussion but I'm on very low battery, so more later...

Hope you are enjoying Paris...been to Corbeil, just outside Paris a few times on business years ago.

Found this article Lapdock on DROID Bionic with ICS and Webtop 3.0 about webtop. According to the write-up, Webtop 3.0 runs a ICS in a tablet mode. I truly don't know enough about the technicalities of ICS to understand the implications. I'm going to drop a line to the Modders in the hack sub-forum and see if any of them could shed some light on the subject. Any of our moderators who have an understanding of Webtop 3.0 and how it interacts with ICS would be very welcome to jump in as well!!

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
It would be cool to get Jellybean however we weren't promised Jellybean at launch. Even with the annoucement that past Motorola devices at the Droid Razr HD event would be upgraded if it was possible i wouldn't bet on it. And there is no way Motorola would release Jelly bean for the Razr without taking care of webtop in the process. Although I would be excited to see lapdock run like butter lol.

jaybogg

Reaction score

Thanks for the post. I think we were all aware of this when we purchased the devices at $50 when they have retailed for as much as $250 in the past. The confirmation article you linked was linked previously. This article and the points it makes, is the very reason for this thread. Notice at the end of the article they speculate that Google will role out something similar completely integrated into the Andoid OS somewhere in the future. The unknowns are how long will Moto and VZW include Webtop in the compatible devices they have sold. Obviously, there will be a EOL date, just as there is for all devices. We are trying to share our new experiences here and help each other out with an obsolete device. Please let us know any tips or tricks you discover with the Webtop software or the lapdocks themselves for that matter. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you!

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Hey, I found a used lapdock 500 online for $100. anyone think this is good deal? The guy is local so I can check it out before I buy. I did buy the 100 for $50 but I want to know if the extra money is worth it for a used 500. I guess I could always sell the 100 to someone.
Any thoughts??

jaybogg

Reaction score
Hey, I found a used lapdock 500 online for $100. anyone think this is good deal? The guy is local so I can check it out before I buy. I did buy the 100 for $50 but I want to know if the extra money is worth it for a used 500. I guess I could always sell the 100 to someone.
Any thoughts??

The differences I am aware of are the bigger, 14" display (which I would like). It also has has a Kensington lock slot, 2 USB 2.0 ports, an SD card reader, headphone jack, Ethernet and VGA connections. If any of these features appeal to you, I would think 100 bucks is a fair deal for both of you.

pftwanger

Reaction score
Hi guys (back online):

Bocabean: I think you're being very gracious to Verizon considering that they killed the products just three months after you bought them. If you bought them at an actual VZ store, I'd be there with my dated receipts having a very polite but very firm discussion with the manager.

Jaybogg: Paris is a blast. I'm visiting lifelong friends in addition to sightseeing. Please tell me more about the Chrome Browser. I'd like to switch but so many sites I visit use Flash that the standard browswer seems like a better choice. How does Chrome handle this?

EA: If the 500 has a specific feature you need it might make sense, but if you already like the 100, I don't know what the 500 adds, and it *is* a dead product!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually pftwanger, I think he should have the conversation with moto also. They released & sold a product at a very high price only to be obsolete a few months later. I have to say if I bought the 500 at full price, I would be very very unhappy right now and would try to get some reimbursement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
The differences I am aware of are the bigger, 14" display (which I would like). It also has has a Kensington lock slot, 2 USB 2.0 ports, an SD card reader, headphone jack, Ethernet and VGA connections. If any of these features appeal to you, I would think 100 bucks is a fair deal for both of you.
Thanks for the reply. So, operationally they are the same? Battery life same as well?
I just worry that perhaps by years end we may have jelly bean and useless lapdocks and then I'll be missing my $100. dollars. I do see your points and they are valid, it's just with the death of webtop and no further support from Motorola is the only reason for my hesitation.