Lapdock 500 doesn't work with JB?!

steelman52

Reaction score
I'm totally bummed about this. I went to use my Lap dock 500 for the first time since the jb update and I couldn't get it to work. I started reading up on it and found out that something called "web top" , whatever that is, has been discontinued with job and the lap dock needs it to function. Anyone know of a workaround? I would really hate to lose the lap dock for when I travel.

lowboydrvr

Reaction score
Motorola (Google) has dropped the support for Webtop. I have the Lapdock 100 and while it does not have the webtop support, you should still be able to plug your phone into it and it will work in display mode (just like connecting it to a TV). I have the RMHD (in the Verizon shell holster) and had to play around with the plug slightly (it doesn't fit as well as my regular Razr did), but still works none the less.

bocabean

Reaction score
My understanding is that it has nothing to do with the JB update and everything to do with the model of the phone that you have. Supposedly when they came out with the Razr Maxx HD and M, both phones were supposed to no longer have Webtop installed. That, and that alone, is the very reason that I will not switch from my Droid Razr Maxx. Further, I have seen information regarding people with leaked versions (I am still stock OS) that show that their Razr Maxx' with JB still have the Webtop software, even after the update.

That is what I have been holding out to see. I want to be able to continue to use my Lapdock 500 and I am counting on the JB update to still have Webtop 3.0. Unfortunately, and again this is my understanding, if you have either an HD or M, then you should never have had Webtop to begin with and therefore you should be (sorry for the abbreviation) SOL. If somehow it was on your phone to begin with, then the VZ promotions that indicated that Webtop would not be part of the OS for your device would have been been false. I doubt that was the case.

OP
steelman52

steelman52

Reaction score
I tried my max HD when I first got it with the Lapdock 500 and it worked fine although without webtop. The display was just simply a large image of my phone display, which is fine for what I need to use the laptop for. The problem is that now after the jb update I get no display at all on the LapDock when I attach my phone to it...

fuct

Reaction score
I'm totally bummed about this. I went to use my Lap dock 500 for the first time since the jb update and I couldn't get it to work. I started reading up on it and found out that something called "web top" , whatever that is, has been discontinued with job and the lap dock needs it to function. Anyone know of a workaround? I would really hate to lose the lap dock for when I travel.

Check this page out, you might find it of interest to get your WebTop back up and running:
sourceForge.net/projects/motorola-webtop.motorola

I too was concerned about the loss of Webtop when applying a new version of Android onto my phone after rooting it. It's good to see the Webtop 2.x project somewhat alive.

Some of you that have a "tablet" looking version of Webtop probably have version 3.x running on their phones. 3.0 too the approach of looking like a regular tablet. This made things easier for the developers since they didn't have to spend too much in resources on a unique and different GUI platform.

gordor

Reaction score
webtop 3 still works on my droid4 after JB update

looking for a cheap lapdock500 for as long as i will use my droid4