Landscape keyboard won't pop up

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Hey I'm using a third party keyboard and it won't pop up when in landscape. I'm not using the multi-touch keyboard that comes with the phone but one I downloaded from the market. I have tried a couple of different third party keyboard and none of them pop up. Is there anyway to fix this?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to activate them in keyboard&language.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
K

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
You need to activate them in keyboard&language.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

I did this. I also long hold on the text field to change it to the third party keyboard. It's just that the Pro has something that prevents other third party keyboard from poping up. Does anyone know a fix for this?

semya

Reaction score
it's a known issue. and there's already another thread on this here and on motorola forums. no help from them at all, btw. i have the fix. but i'm not entitled to post it here until the official release of the app. i'll do in a couple of days.

semya

Reaction score
so, it's all about hardware keyboard which is constantly present in droid pro. soft keyboards just don't show up if your hardware keyboard is reported as being active. that's kind of normal I suppose, but not in case of the pro.

this hint was actually posted by someone here. i then contacted Cyril from smart keyboard dev team. he promised to consider this feature to be added to his alternative keyboard. and he did! a couple of days ago i tested a beta version for him. it worked right away. then he just added the trigger to not show the soft keyboard in portrait mode. and that's it! it works like a charm.

bought his smart keyboard pro 3.13 right away. the needed option is in Advanced Settings (called 'Ignore hard keyboard'). that's it. the guess of other user was correct. and Cyril was very fast to implement the fix. unlike the motorola guys, which I find very unprofessional and careless.

so the solution for all of us is Smart Keyboard PRO: Smart Keyboard for Android

google123

Reaction score
Finally, alternate landscape keyboards..thanks semya

Smart%20Keyboard%20Pro%20on%20Droid%20Pro.jpg

I think I'm gonna start emailing other keyboard developers to see if we can get their software keyboards also working on the Pro in landscape such as TouchPal, Better Keyboard, and Swiftkey.
NbUA62b

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
I tried the free version and it doesn't work. Do I have to get the pro version?

mbd4524

Reaction score
I downloaded the trial version for pro in order to test out, however, I do not see the "disable hard keyboard" option.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

semya

Reaction score
check that it's version 3.13.0. and you can always email the author. it's so simple in android.