Intermittent keyboard freeze in landscape mode

thetingster

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this problem pop up? I find that when typing in landscape mode the keyboard intermittently will freeze or lock up for a short period of time. This has happened with the stock keyboard, go keyboard and smart keyboard pro. Anyone have an idea what could cause this?

The keyboards all work fine in portrait mode.

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
Yes, I have the same issue regularly but intermittently. But mine happens in portrait and landscape. Kinda pisses me off. I've never used an iPhone that has this problem.

Sent from a Phone

sgregory111

Reaction score
I also had the same problem. Also found I could not scroll when in the browser.

It turned out the I was holding it with my hand or finger in the proximity of one of the four permanent buttons at the bottom of the phone. It turned out to me to be the problem. Makes it seem intermittent.

rdgxray

Reaction score
I had this same problem constantly ...then updated and it went away...now I have updated again to 9.01 and haven't seen it happen since...to me it appears the updates fixed it

ripper2860

Reaction score
I have 901 and it happens to me as well. I do suspect that it is due to my proximity to the buttons or sensor, however. Strange thing is I never noticed the issue w/ .886 -- only with .893 and .901.

rdgxray

Reaction score
Weird...seriously ...I had it happen all the time...very frustrating ...after first ota update went away...not 1 incident since....maybe update didn't fix it...I just know it went away

OP
thetingster

thetingster

Reaction score
I am curious if it has anything to do with the launcher. I just removed go launcher and the freezing seems to have gone away. I was surprised as I didn't think the launcher would have anything to do with it.

The proximity sensor is something I also haven't considered. But as the problem has not showed up since reverting back to the stock launcher I want to do a little more testing. I am currently using go keyboard and am running 901.

Reaction score
theres 2 different things that it says when it freezes and force closes, maybe ill catch it one of these times.

OP
thetingster

thetingster

Reaction score
That's interesting. Mine has never force closed or given me a message. It would just freeze up while typing and keys become unresponsive for a time.

OP
thetingster

thetingster

Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger and did a factory reset. I have put about half my apps back on and am still having the problem while typing in landscape mode. Intermittent freezes while trying to type. Portrait mode works fine.

Renae

Reaction score
I have had this happen a lot, well I think we are thinking the same thing. I could still Swype but none of the words would show up, I'd switch to the stock keyboard and the same thing would occur. Then I noticed that this would always happen when my live wallpaper would hang. I got rid of the live wallpaper and haven't had the problem since. The only way I could get my keyboard back was a power cycle.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
thetingster

thetingster

Reaction score
Well, since being on 901 and now 902 I do not have this problem anymore. I am still using Go Keyboard, and loving it.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Have not experienced this... Running stock at the moment.

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Testing landscape mode now, it doesn't seem to be locking or freezing, but it does seem strangely inaccurate when it comes to individual key presses. I don't use landscape typing enough to notice a problem with it. I am noticing a little lag while deleting, though. Typing landscape is surely slowing my typing speed waaaay down though, so I might just be unable to notice any freezing.
Rooted 902 with gingerbread keyboard from the market

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums