Korean Researchers Successfully Demonstrate Advanced Version of LTE - 600Mbps!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LTE_adv.jpg

For those of us old enough to remember the 'dial-up' days, when upgrading to 56k was a big deal, the following info will seem both 'ridiculous' and a 'dream come true'. Korean researchers have successfully demonstrated a working version of 'LTE-Advanced' operating at a sustained 600 Mbps. The state-run Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) demonstrated an evolved Multimedia Broadcast and Multicast Service (eMBMS), that merges high-capacity and ultra-speed technology, that is approximately six times faster than an LTE network (up to 100 Mbps) or 40 times faster than a 3G network (up to 14.4 Mbps). To put it in perspective, this technology enables users to watch 3D TV videos in a moving car, or download 700 MB file in 9.3 seconds. For those few who need a quick computer refresher - (notice the difference between little 'b' and big 'B' there are 8 bits to every byte, so 600 Megabits per second is roughly equal to 60 MegaBytes per second... faster than most home networks! And this is wireless!

When the final international standard for 4G is released in April, ETRI’s LTE-Advanced technology will fulfill 95% of that standard. ETRI expects LTE-Advanced to become available in Korea country by 2014. This is basically 'true 4G' folks! Who wants to move to Korea now?

Source: Telecoms Korea via Engadget

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is not the first technology to be available in other countries before it comes close to coming here, nor do i see it being the last. With most tech companies being either out of country or on their way out of country, this is nothing surprising in my eyes.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Yup.

3D on phones, already out overseas. NFC thats on the Samsung Nexus S, already out overseas, Android phones with screen res that match the iPhone 4 or close, already out overseas.

I'm sure the list could be longer.

Eric18

Reaction score
I hope we get this soon...... we then might not have to pay for only limited web on verizon.:blackdroid:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
we wont see that until 2020 in the U.S and be available to most until 2022. LOL not to mention the cost of tier data plan from vzw. and all the new threads on "is tethering using 4g advance" legal? LMAO

big al

Reaction score
speeds like that could make me forget what latency is

aj8600

Reaction score
South Korea.... is best Korea

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App