Reaction score
Hello all. So I started getting very annoyed because earlier today my Droids

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
lordneverar

lordneverar

Reaction score
*oops sorry accidentally pressed post xD*
My droids keyboard slider was sticking so badly that I could barelly close it. So I devised a way to literally make it work like new.
*FIRST TURN OFF YOUR PHONE*
-Have the phone slider open during cleaning to access the sliding mechanism.

1. Use rubbing alcohol on a q tip to soak some rubbing alcohol into the cracks of the slider mechanism.
2. Slide the slider back and forward quickly about 10 times.
3. Use a paper towel to wipe up all of the excess rubbing alcohol.
4. After that is done spray some dw-40 on a q tip. DO NOT spray it directly on your phone.
5. Use the q tip to apply a light ammount of dw-40 in the cracks of the sliding peices. Repeat step two and three, only this time its the dw-40.
6. Make sure the phone is completely clean with no liquids in the keyboard then, boot your phone up.

Doing this will clean all the dust out, and then relubrucate the tracks.

I do not hold responsibilty for any damage done to your phone but this was 100 percent effective for me.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
WD 40 shouldn't be used as a lube and shouldn't be used where a lube is required since it will break-down most lubes.

OP
lordneverar

lordneverar

Reaction score
Which is what I thought aswell. But it seems that the tracks don't have any lube in them to begin with. Like I said this worked perfect for me, my slider is stick free.

OP
lordneverar

lordneverar

Reaction score
Also I'm sure some sort of silicon based lube could be used instead of wd-40 to the same effect, if using wd-40 is a large cause for consern.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Graphite-based might be good. Check your local locksmith. Stuff does wonders for locks.

Silicone-based seems appropriate for this though. I might even try a little "nose grease".

EDIT: Oops, not graphite. That was the old stuff. I meant Tri-Flow, which does NOT have graphite. It is great for locks but I have no idea if it would be good for this application. I should shut up!

Last edited:

jonamurphy

Reaction score
I've used Rem-Oil (gun lube) on household locks for years and it works magic. I'm not sure if it's conductive, though, so I'd be careful with it as well as graphite or aluminum based lubricants.

Radio Shack sells a nonconductive dry lubricant/contact cleaner for electrical contacts and would get my vote for this application.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Which is what I thought aswell. But it seems that the tracks don't have any lube in them to begin with. Like I said this worked perfect for me, my slider is stick free.

It will for a while, but like I pointed out, it will break down any lube that is there. If your phone missed the lube train then I'd try very little silicon. It shouldn't appear (visually) that there is any lube there.

Analoger55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
motorla droid 4
I know it is 5 years later...but would like to verify Lordneverar's advice to clean the phone tracks with alcohol wipes or q tip soaked in alcohol, then spray DW 40 on the q tip and apply to the sliders. It saved our Droid 4 from the landfill and it lives to text another day. Thanks for the good advice!! (Actually carefully sprayed the DW 40 with a tube pointer that was attached to the bottle right into the tracks and along all the edges and the phone still functions well. I was careful to clean away any excess and let it dry overnight before turning it on.) Thanks again!