Keyboard Remapping

quizzard

Reaction score
Is it possible to remap the keyboard on the D4?

Something like, have "delete" remapped to the "back", change "OK" to shift, so on, so forth.

On my Razor computer keyboard its possible to reassign a key to any number of keys or keypresses.

Maybe this is a thought for a developer.

AranelAlasse

Reaction score
I second this question. I'd love it if the caps lock key could either be disabled completely or just converted to a shift key (or anything else).

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Button remapper might be what you're looking for. You need root access though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score
Could you post a link to the app? I can't find it in the market.

chefboyardee

Reaction score

THANK YOU! I had no idea this existed.

OP, here is a link:

com.beansoft.buttonremapper.18.apk

Sadly it seems to be removed from the Market. Not sure why. Something about fighting the big boys, I believe (see their homepage: Mukki.org - Time to say Goodbye.

And an article about it:

Modder

I'm hesitant to use an apk from mediafire (injected code and whatnot), but I will probably try it out anyway.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to download it from mediafire, just pm me your email address and I'll send you the copy of the apk that I have (got it through the market before they took it down. Up to you though. I'm sure the mediafire download is fine.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
If you don't want to download it from mediafire, just pm me your email address and I'll send you the copy of the apk that I have (got it through the market before they took it down. Up to you though. I'm sure the mediafire download is fine.

Thanks a million for the offer. Come to think of it, you're right, I've tested a few pay apps on my D1 via torrent before purchasing and didn't blink at installing them. I'll give the Mediafire version a shot :)

Leapin'Leemers

Reaction score

I downloaded the mediafire link and installed the app on my device. One issue is that it displays on about 2/3 the screen. There's a huge blank area around it. Also, I don't see the options for changing the keyboard buttons. It lets you select them and I assume assign hardware functions like Power Up, Volume up/down, etc.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
I found a thread on XDA about Button Remapper that also included an app for key testing (so you know which number corresponds to which key). Not sure if we can post links to other forums here but the thread is #850464.

Caps lock is 222, but when I open Button Remapper, there is no 222 in the default list so I can't edit it.

I'm trying to remap 222 (Caps Lock) to act as 42 (Shift) and vice versa....anyone have any ideas how to add a new entry to the Button Remapper table or am I SOL?

LaughDonor

Reaction score
So I downloaded it from the official thread in XDA, and did the remap, cause that was the first thing that was bothering me. But the program doesn't work at switching it. I tried to change the Caps to "Home" function, but it didn't change anything. The file that they change is in /data/data/com.beansoft.buttonremapper/files/evfwd.kl and tried to use it to manually interchange the Left Shift and Caps lock keys, but as my previous statement.. it didn't seem to work (yes, I did restart).

93fuelslut

Reaction score
THANK YOU! I had no idea this existed.

OP, here is a link:

com.beansoft.buttonremapper.18.apk

Sadly it seems to be removed from the Market. Not sure why. Something about fighting the big boys, I believe (see their homepage: Mukki.org - Time to say Goodbye.

And an article about it:

Modder

I'm hesitant to use an apk from mediafire (injected code and whatnot), but I will probably try it out anyway.
What's wrong with media fire? And why do gthey take apps off the market? I did hear abt a guy who ownded a internet site like media fire or something got arrested for whatever

me_droid

Reaction score
There is another thread on xda - Remapping Physical Buttons/Adding Alternate Keys - xda-developers. I used these utils and instructions to remap the "caps lock" that doesn't work because I use swiftkey. Remapped it to @, which is the key I miss the most from my D1. But as always, back up the system files you are about to modify!

Had to reboot phone for changes to take effect.

Last edited: