Keyboard in landscape not very accurate

Gleason81

Reaction score
Any suggestions? When I use the keyboard in landscape/horizontally, the keyboard seems much less accurate than using it vertically. Anyone else notice this?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Any suggestions? When I use the keyboard in landscape/horizontally, the keyboard seems much less accurate than using it vertically. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, it's because there is less height for the buttons in landscape, even though there is considerably more width. This leaves less room for errors with finger locations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
Gleason81

Gleason81

Reaction score
Yeah, it's because there is less height for the buttons in landscape, even though there is considerably more width. This leaves less room for errors with finger locations.

Well, I don't necessarily agree with you...should have less room for error because the keyboard is larger than the vertical keyboard. Plus, I've been using on-screen keyboards for awhile (on other phones). It almost seems like there is something wrong with the accuracy of horizontal keyboard on the Razr. Was wondering if anyone else thought the same thing.

jdroid80

Reaction score
I just tried the landsape mode for texting for the first time in 2 months, and it was pretty accurate.

Are you using a screen protector or something?

OP
Gleason81

Gleason81

Reaction score
I just tried the landsape mode for texting for the first time in 2 months, and it was pretty accurate.

Are you using a screen protector or something?

No I had a screen protector on and removed it a few weeks ago. Not any better or worse with it.

OP
Gleason81

Gleason81

Reaction score
My recommendation is to try A.I.Type keyboard. It is phenomenal!!

Is this really worth $5 for an aftermarket keyboard? I know there's a trial version and you lose some functionality on it after 15 days. Is it laggy? What's your review on it?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, I don't necessarily agree with you...should have less room for error because the keyboard is larger than the vertical keyboard. Plus, I've been using on-screen keyboards for awhile (on other phones). It almost seems like there is something wrong with the accuracy of horizontal keyboard on the Razr. Was wondering if anyone else thought the same thing.

Measure the height of the two keyboards and then tell me you still disagree. Landscape keys are 7mm tall and 7.5mm wide with 1mm between each key from top to bottom and 1.5mm from side to side. To type on landscape mode requires more reaching across the width of the screen so the finger tends to be hitting the display with the flatter parts of the finger and the margins become crucial and key height becomes a problem. I tried to type this paragraph in landscape and had numerous errors due to miskeying.

Portrait keys are 8.5mm tall but only 4.5mm wide and with the same 1mm gap above and below, but only .5mm on each side. You might think that with the smaller margin on the sides that the error rate would go up, but because I am using the tips of my fingers less skin actually contacts the screen, so the actual "footprint" of my finger is a greater percentage smaller than the keys are narrower, resulting in the smaller side margins being more forgiving. Since we have finer motor control with our thumbs in the side to side reaching than we do up and down, the narrower keys are less of a problem. With the keys being taller, the weaker motor control of the finger on the vertical plane is compensated for.

OP
Gleason81

Gleason81

Reaction score
Measure the height of the two keyboards and then tell me you still disagree. Landscape keys are 7mm tall and 7.5mm wide with 1mm between each key from top to bottom and 1.5mm from side to side. To type on landscape mode requires more reaching across the width of the screen so the finger tends to be hitting the display with the flatter parts of the finger and the margins become crucial and key height becomes a problem. I tried to type this paragraph in landscape and had numerous errors due to miskeying.

Well said. :biggrin:
Portrait keys are 8.5mm tall but only 4.5mm wide and with the same 1mm gap above and below, but only .5mm on each side. You might think that with the smaller margin on the sides that the error rate would go up, but because I am using the tips of my fingers less skin actually contacts the screen, so the actual "footprint" of my finger is a greater percentage smaller than the keys are narrower, resulting in the smaller side margins being more forgiving. Since we have finer motor control with our thumbs in the side to side reaching than we do up and down, the narrower keys are less of a problem. With the keys being taller, the weaker motor control of the finger on the vertical plane is compensated for.

Well put. Thanks. :biggrin:

OP
Gleason81

Gleason81

Reaction score
How to load a DVD movie on your Razr

Removed post....accidentally started new thread on this one.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would like to know how you might go about taking one of your home DVD movies and put it on your RAZR while maintaining the DVD quality.

Isn't this completely off-topic (from your original post) and wouldn't it be better served as its own new post?