Kernel question

in99flames

Reaction score
Ok. I have kind of a silly question so here it goes. We are all speaking about how our droid xs have a locked bootloader and we cannot do custom kernels because of it.....what exactly is a custom kernel and how would it better our device? I think rubix focused runs great now. So I better understand, this rom is strictly a software operating system rehash and optimization....and a kernel would do what else?

Thanks for dealing with me guys :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
So a kernel is the layer of software that allows applications to talk to the hardware.
On my gTab I have a custom kernel that enables things like ipv6 and the ability to use available hardware like the usb plug for other things, like plugging in a usb modem.

basically a custom kernel lets you hack at a much lower level.

I asked similar questions a while back, i could never understand why having the bootloader locked was anything more than an inconvenience. I'm realizing now that because it's locked in some ways you don't know what you are missing because guys can't get in there and figure out what's possible.

While the DX is awesome and rubiX makes it so much better, I can't imagine every getting a phone that has a locked bootloader again.

mcp770

Reaction score
Me either. Rooted my wifes incredible with skyraider and could tell immediately what a difference a custom kernel can make. The level of tweaking goes far beyond what is currently available on the x. That said these guys do amazing work with x roms given the limitations. Next phone will probably be an htc if motorola doesn't get their heads out if their asses. Locked boot loader puts a bad taste in my mouth....sorta tastes like a rotten apple.

Reaction score
Me either. Rooted my wifes incredible with skyraider and could tell immediately what a difference a custom kernel can make. The level of tweaking goes far beyond what is currently available on the x. That said these guys do amazing work with x roms given the limitations. Next phone will probably be an htc if motorola doesn't get their heads out if their asses. Locked boot loader puts a bad taste in my mouth....sorta tastes like a rotten apple.

I heard that all the next moto devices will have locked bootloaders....p3 said that I believe.
But he didn't specifically mention the Bionic I can't imagine that that policy isn't going to be the same for all of moto's stuff.

that being said a locked bootloader doesn't mean that there isn't a way to unlock it.

my wife also has an incredible and i'm just LOOKING for a reason to get her to let me put CM7 on there. :D

OP
in99flames

in99flames

Reaction score
Very interesting! I understand now....I appreciate the replies! I have a tablet....it probably doesn't have a locked bootloader...maybe I can explore the options there hehe.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mcp770

Reaction score
Get with drod on gtalk, I'm sure he can put you on the right track with that tablet. Digital just do it one night while she is asleep. Just make sure you do a nandroid lol. I didn't and damn if htc doesn't default picture and video saves to device rather than sd. Wiped tons of her pictures and video. The phone runs great however on skyraider with much improved battery life. She liked the sense roms to keep the htc look. Flip clock even flips tiles every minute...its nice.