[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

DanDroidX

Reaction score
hi prime thanks for the life examples you make the best kernels we can learn from I imagine we can learn from your driving too. Going to try hitting something at 60 since if prime does 55 I need to do +1 to that better safe than sorry as allways thanks all.

Is you period key broken? Seriously, learn to punctuate! I can't even read that.

Sent from the Droidforums App via a Neurocellular Processing Unit.

Last edited:

meishkov

Reaction score
so, to bring a up a month old topic, is there an advantage to changing the echo noop > /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler to deadline instead of noop, or is that not possible? That's the other scheduler if I remember reading correctly, just wondering if it would make my OG cruise even better or not u know.
It's tough to get the "perfect" setup for everyone's phone since no 2 are alike. From the different schedulers in the kernels, to different vsels and frequencies, or build.prop tweaks or sysctl tweaks or compcache or swap partition or v6 supercharger or....geez, I gotta start putting all that stuff into 1 folder to keep it all together:)

Edit: I'm assuming that the [cfq] in the brackets next to noop's and none's means it just disabled or something and not active? I don't have any script that runs that echo noop into that directory but yet somehow I seem to be running noop. I've checked my /system/etc/init.d folder along with just /system/etc and nothing is running that command...very STRANGE:icon_eek:

Last edited:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I understand either noop or deadline are fine, anything else isn't though. All the others I know of are designed for rotational hard drives (computers) rather than fixed hard drives (flash drives which phones have)

supercharged modified liquid 3.0 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

meishkov

Reaction score
Yea cfq was a problem for some people I guess...if I remember reading correctly. Just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of noop vs deadline would be. Or if its something that'd be noticeable.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not entirely sure but I know basically noop runs I/O read/writes as first come first serve and deadline runs the I/O read/writes in whatever order but gives them only a certain amount of time to run before being stopped (a deadline to do whatever it does basically) I'm not entirely sure what that means but those are the definitions.

Btw everything I see for nonmoving hard drives (what our phones have) basically says noop OR deadline and doesn't say one is better than the other

19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Last edited:

meishkov

Reaction score
Gotcha. Yea I was curious as to whether it's another one of the numerous things that's different from phone to phone. Like would deadline be better on my phone than noop and vice versa for ur phone. That's what I was wondering.

Does anybody know if there's a way to check if the /system/build.prop file gets loaded completely? I ask because I did one of those battery saving tweaks to keep it from switching to 1x and back but it still does it. And my 3g bars will go empty for a few seconds then come back. Does that pretty frequently. Was thinking of maybe trying the old baseband or something. Or perhaps it could be those sysctl.conf tweaks?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can always disable any sysctl tweaks or build.prop edits to check just add a # directly in front of it. For example to disable forcing hardware acceleration it would be exactly #debug.sf.hw=1
Just wipe dalvik cache and reboot after making any changes

19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

xCaldazar

Reaction score
I keep losing internet connection since flashing this kernel. I wiped cache and dalvik before install. I lose both wifi and 3g after random amounts of time. As short as a few minutes up to a few hours. A reboot seems to fix it temporarily each time. Turning off and on wifi or 3g doesn't have any affect. I flashed the kernel on a stock cm7.1. Any suggestions?

I don't usually get issues like this even though I have flashed lots of roms and kernels in the past. So its a bit frustrating.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I keep losing internet connection since flashing this kernel. I wiped cache and dalvik before install. I lose both wifi and 3g after random amounts of time. As short as a few minutes up to a few hours. A reboot seems to fix it temporarily each time. Turning off and on wifi or 3g doesn't have any affect. I flashed the kernel on a stock cm7.1. Any suggestions?

I don't usually get issues like this even though I have flashed lots of roms and kernels in the past. So its a bit frustrating.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I have never witnessed the issue your describing, as a quick test try flashing my primed kernel and see if your issue persists.

I am in the middle of moving and haven't had any time as of late, almost finished and will have more time to diagnose soon (day or so) if you wish.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
You sure its the kernel and not anything else? I didn't think kernels had much to do with 3g reception, only wifi...did you try clearing dalvik cache? Sometimes 3g signal becomes iffy when the dalvik cache is full and wiping it helps sometimes.
Also did do anything else to the rom (supercharger, 3g turbocharger, kickasskernel tweaks, remove system apps, etc.)

19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

xCaldazar

Reaction score
I have never witnessed the issue your describing, as a quick test try flashing my primed kernel and see if your issue persists.

I am in the middle of moving and haven't had any time as of late, almost finished and will have more time to diagnose soon (day or so) if you wish.

You sure its the kernel and not anything else? I didn't think kernels had much to do with 3g reception, only wifi...did you try clearing dalvik cache? Sometimes 3g signal becomes iffy when the dalvik cache is full and wiping it helps sometimes.
Also did do anything else to the rom (supercharger, 3g turbocharger, kickasskernel tweaks, remove system apps, etc.)

It didn't sound like a smart move but I was a bit stumped so I just used the 1200Mhz setting on the Milestone Overclock and it seems to be working fine now. Had a connection all day. my connection issue may still come back, but it wasn't lasting this long when it had an issue before. I had the sd card tweak and supercharger enabled. I had disabled and removed them and the problem continued.

I would normally not care and just try a different kernel but this one really seems to run smoothly for me.

If it comes up again I will probably just do a complete fresh install of cm7.1 and load the kernel directly afterward before anything else. =)

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It didn't sound like a smart move but I was a bit stumped so I just used the 1200Mhz setting on the Milestone Overclock and it seems to be working fine now. Had a connection all day. my connection issue may still come back, but it wasn't lasting this long when it had an issue before. I had the sd card tweak and supercharger enabled. I had disabled and removed them and the problem continued.

I would normally not care and just try a different kernel but this one really seems to run smoothly for me.

If it comes up again I will probably just do a complete fresh install of cm7.1 and load the kernel directly afterward before anything else. =)

You have to watch the supercharge script, I was trying it on the X and it fried my ability to enable/disable mobile data..airplane...wifi..etc..etc

I had no time to diagnose as I needed navigation, had to restore a backup. It also affected my 3G, was causing it to jump out and I would totally lose data...couldn't toggle airplane mode because of previously mentioned issue.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to watch the supercharge script, I was trying it on the X and it fried my ability to enable/disable mobile data..airplane...wifi..etc..etc

I had no time to diagnose as I needed navigation, had to restore a backup. It also affected my 3G, was causing it to jump out and I would totally lose data...couldn't toggle airplane mode because of previously mentioned issue.

Funny how simply changing oom groupings and minfree values can mess with 3g. Android is an odd thing sometimes lol

19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Funny how simply changing oom groupings and minfree values can mess with 3g. Android is an odd thing sometimes lol

19.8 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Scripts can/do misbehave on various iterations of busybox, also assigning the dialer an improper oom rating can cause this...to test kill the dialer with a -9 signal ;)

kevdog

Reaction score
Prime -- What version of busybox should I be running? Link or site appreciated.