[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
sbenson-
What's your opinion of link2sd? Do you keep an inordinate amount of apps or have you noticed benefits other than the increased storage?

I've only recently considered setting up an sd partition for apps, but opinion seems split so I haven't taken the plunge.

Increased storage is the only real benefit I've noticed.

Same here. Mainly increase storage, but like Godfather, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :) knowing that I can keep my internal storage from being filled to the brim.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may be working fine but if you check you will see that /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 will be mounted twice, once to /sd-ext and once to /data/sdext2

Also the ext2/3 drivers have been known to cause higher CPU usage.

Ok, sounds good. Downloading now. My second question is can I just install this as-is since I have Link2sd installed and working? Or should I uninstall and start from scratch?

Edit: And do I flash this through recovery? Do I have to remove the existing 11link2sd file?

Re-download again from the same link, I updated the routine to remove /etc/init.d/11link2sd as well.

The zip also includes a script that raises the default sd card cache from 128 Kilobytes to 3 Megabytes, it speeds up the sd card substantially.

If your already using a method to change the cache please remove it.

I think I know the answer, but do I flash this through recovery?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
sbenson-
What's your opinion of link2sd? Do you keep an inordinate amount of apps or have you noticed benefits other than the increased storage?

I've only recently considered setting up an sd partition for apps, but opinion seems split so I haven't taken the plunge.

I forgot to mention the most obvious benefit in my opinion is the fact that with your apps on an sdext partition, you don't have to wait for them to load on startup like you would if they were on your standard fat32 partion.

When you move your apps to sd the "regular way" (through titanium backup or whatever) you'll notice when you reboot, your apps won't show up until the sd card is done reading. Sometimes this can be up to a minute or more. On the other hand, when your apps are on the sdext partition it acts as an extension of your built in hard drive. Upon boot, it's read instantly and all of your apps are available immediately. There will be some apps that you can't move (because they get buggy) so you'll just have to test which ones should.

droidkevlar

Reaction score
prime, i dont recall seeing anything in the first post or reading through out the posts, but have you updated Milestone OC to work with your latest deprimed?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may be working fine but if you check you will see that /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 will be mounted twice, once to /sd-ext and once to /data/sdext2

Also the ext2/3 drivers have been known to cause higher CPU usage.

Ok, sounds good. Downloading now. My second question is can I just install this as-is since I have Link2sd installed and working? Or should I uninstall and start from scratch?

Edit: And do I flash this through recovery? Do I have to remove the existing 11link2sd file?

Re-download again from the same link, I updated the routine to remove /etc/init.d/11link2sd as well.

The zip also includes a script that raises the default sd card cache from 128 Kilobytes to 3 Megabytes, it speeds up the sd card substantially.

Prime, I think this zip file broke my existing link2sd links. It was strange, some worked, others didn't. I had to copy my old 11link2sd file back in to get them to work again. Any suggestions?

The SD card speed is blazing fast though so that's good. Gallery is crazy fast. Thanks!!! If I can just get the other script to work I'll be set!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anybody having trouble with #33 after 18 hrs of operation without a reboot? The last two days I've struggled with the phone in the morning until I reboot.

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Anybody having trouble with #33 after 18 hrs of operation without a reboot? The last two days I've struggled with the phone in the morning until I reboot.

Are you running compcache?

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
This is addressing the question on Link2SD and why use it due to hassle of partitioning.
First thing is that the partitioning was beyond easy, copy SD contents to your computer.
Make sure you have any of your needed apps stored internally, Rom Manager being one as that was what I used to create the partition, but the process reformats the entire SD, hence copy to computer first. Select create partition in RM, choose size, I chose the max of 500MB. You then can add a swap position if desired.
Recopy back to SD.
One thing that is great is you can move the dalvik as well as the app you want to the ext.
Also since this mounts before apps on sd do there is less lag after a reboot.
I like the app because out seems to be one of the reasons I've had no issues with any GB Roms.
Perhaps due to a much larger amount of free internal space.
I can't be sure, but ever since using link my OG has never run better.
Also the dev is continuing to make the app even more powerful, easier to use and possibly a way to flash a new ROM yet not wiping the sdext2 first. Then after flashing and link app adds needed script, it will re link all the apps on the ext. Maybe cutting setup time of new ROM by 75%.
It is well worth a try, bonus also is that apps/widgets will still be accessible when on ext, reverse of app moved to sd.

GodfatherIP

Reaction score

Prime, I think this zip file broke my existing link2sd links. It was strange, some worked, others didn't. I had to copy my old 11link2sd file back in to get them to work again. Any suggestions?

The SD card speed is blazing fast though so that's good. Gallery is crazy fast. Thanks!!! If I can just get the other script to work I'll be set!

I have noticed that after I update the kernel my link2sd apps don't seem to load on the first boot, but if I reboot then they all load up fine. Maybe the ext modules don't load properly on the first boot of a new kernel? I'm not sure but rebooting always seems to make it work.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

I have noticed that after I update the kernel my link2sd apps don't seem to load on the first boot, but if I reboot then they all load up fine. Maybe the ext modules don't load properly on the first boot of a new kernel? I'm not sure but rebooting always seems to make it work.

Did you try prime's script? Everything was working fine before I flashed it. Afterword the 11link2sd file was gone and the links were no longer working? Does link2sd need that file to work? If so, why would prime remove it with his script?

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Changing the kernel creates the need for link to create new correct script, as most kernels differ regarding aspects that directly impact link app and mounting pt

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs