[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I will install linux on my little zino tomorrow and see how it goes, can't wait any longer for a proper development machine.

@winner
It's too difficult to diagnosis issues from memory, I will hit you up this weekend and let you know where the ti_wlan issue lies...likely in the updated code.

If I could give ya my laptop I would but its kinda my only real computer lol btw speaking of development computers is a 64 bit dual core 2.8 GHz with 4GB ram good enough to do most development? I'm still learning how but it'd be nice to know if I'm wasting my time on my laptop lol

supercharged modified liquid 3.1 w/turbocharged 3g
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz w/ kickasskernel tweaks
19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Last edited:
OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
If I could give ya my laptop I would but its kinda my only real computer lol btw speaking of development computers is a 64 bit dual core 2.8 GHz with 4GB ram good enough to do most development? I'm still learning how but it'd be nice to know if I'm wasting my time on my laptop lol

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Anything dual-core will work, my last development machine was a core2duo with 3GB ram...worked fine. At least when I ordered the zino I opted for the Athlon x2 3250e, it was strictly used for dvr duties but I guess we will see how it does running linux. To put in perspective how slow it is compared to a top of the line i7 (the x2 3250e scores 800+, i7 scores 10000+ in benchmarks).

I suppose the machine I have will work, but I believe it will take 10+ minutes to compile the kernel. This doesn't sound like long..but when I make code/configuration changes I must compile kernel, package, transfer, flash and finally test...rinse and repeat over and over. It takes 30+ minutes for me to find out if the kernel will even boot, much less perform better than previous iterations. I really need a machine that will compile the kernel in a minute or so to be efficient. Needless to say it is not fun, more like torture...although when I gain performance it makes it all worthwhile.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Btw, not to be off topic more but what Linux do you usually run? Like Ubuntu or any others?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Pleirosei

Reaction score
Any one here have a spare video card? My 4870x2 died on me and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a card since I am no longer a gamer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Any one here have a spare video card? My 4870x2 died on me and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a card since I am no longer a gamer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well that isn't out of left field or anything...

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Btw, not to be off topic more but what Linux do you usually run? Like Ubuntu or any others?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

I ran Ubuntu on my last machine, my personal favorite is gentoo (before Daniel Robbins left). Deb and Ian works great as well (debian).

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ran Ubuntu on my last machine, my personal favorite is gentoo (before Daniel Robbins left). Deb and Ian works great as well (debian).

Ever try openSUSE?
I'm installing it right now (I watched a good video review of it and it had tons of settings others didnt apparently, even the installation has tons of nice options). I tried Ubuntu a little bit but didn't really like it...hopefully this is better :)
Edit: I like it lol...now to try out some terminal commands and explore the filesystem :)

Anyway back on topic did you figure out the issues with the update you and winner were working on?

19.9 linpack score
1856 quadrant score

Last edited:
OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have used suse a long time ago (7.1), hated yum package manager. You may find it difficult to get started developing on a non apt distribution as most installation/usage tutorials deal in debian/Ubuntu way of doing things.

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I was supposed to pick up a monitor for my PC but have yet to do so...slacking.

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I am testing the updated kernel now, update eminent and it's fast :)

OP
prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Please give the updated kernel a battery of tests and let me know how it goes, if all is well I will update the OP.

Deprimed test #21 (Kernel reports #2) - (11/19/2011): http://bit.ly/uw36Sm