Keeping your memory free, and your CPU useage down?

Reaction score
So I was wondering what's a good app for monitoring your memory and CPU. Also for freeing up memory and keeping your CPU resource usage down. And pretty much just overall being able to monitor your phones system health. I've been using an app called, "Super Box" which seems to work decently, but after I free up memory, it will give me close to 300mb free, but after about 20min its back down to around 100 to 150mb, so I'm not sure if its working correctly or if there's something I'm not doing to keep my phones RAM from being used up all the time. So any thoughts on what I can do, and does anyone have an opinion on the Super Box app and how well it works?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

EOK1335

Reaction score
try autokiller. this app just enhance the android default memory management method. u just do some settings and the app will do everything else. no need to clean memory everytime manually. my free memory always go between 180-200

leobg

Reaction score
Having free memory in android is waste of resources- both cpu and battery. Since Froyo task killers have adverse effect. Do not waste your time (and battery) with task killers

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

mreyn3693

Reaction score
I used to use auto-killers but after reading several articles like this one FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android I haven't used one since. What I do use is setcpu which if you're not familiar, allows you to set profiles to determine what speed your cpu is running at.

I have about 6 profiles set up. one to turn the cpu to minimum whenever the screen is off. a few that drop the cpu speed slightly when the battery reaches certain levels and a few that drop it when the temperature exceeds a certain limit.

As far as monitoring, I just have widgetsoid set up in my status bar that tells me the temp, RAM capacity, SD capacity, etc. Hope some of this helps.

View attachment 30007

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I've been using this app/widget called, "Process Monitor" and it works great for telling me the useage on my RAM(memory) and then I use "Battery Life" widget and it tells me my cpu temp and all that, its great. So after reading that article about taskkillers I unistalled, "superbox" and stopped killing my processes" makes sense not to, since android OS, has its own protocols to free up memory and stop activities/services as needed. Makes you wonder tho, why android comes stock with a task manager lol that allows you to manually kill certain processes.

On another note, I've been using this other app, called "super manager" and it has a few useful apps in one, like an apk manager and a file explorer, a backup restorer (that's not a word lol I kno) and it seems pretty handy so I figured I would throw it out there for those of you who haven't heard of it. It works good, since I used to have seperate apps for all of those functions, but now I can just have that, instead of having astro file explorer, .apk manager, and titanium backup (tho I did still keep titanium backup, but got rid of the rest) and now I just have it streamlined to one convient app. So check it out if you already haven't and let us kno what you think.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Last edited: