Android System RAM Issue

ExodusC

Reaction score
So, I noticed my Droid would slow down sometimes, and when looking for the answer, I noticed I only had about 40MB of free RAM. However, I noticed only a few apps were loaded into memory. I killed everything out of curiosity, and was left with less than 100MB.

So I go looking for the answer. I checked the Android system processes, and I noticed that android.process.media was consuming a massive 197MB of memory!

I can't close the process. I'm not sure why it's consuming this much memory and not freeing it up. I'm guessing there's a memory leak somewhere.

This is the second time it's happened, and for all I know it could have been happening for a long time.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission using the DroidForums app.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe its a pretty known issue. I have run UD and CM roms and have the issue where I cannot listen to music and open another app, the music just stops. Great when you have a 5 hour car ride and need navigation AND music!

I even had music close on me while simply opening the facebook app or somehting. And its any media, I tried music, radio, pandora... uhg ginger...

0rafael

Reaction score
When Verizon will update the Droid 2 Global?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

kickasz23

Reaction score
i have streamed music, tv and police scanner no problem maybe you have a app in the background eating up your battery.

any updated related to os such as 2.4 it prolly be april.

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
i have streamed music, tv and police scanner no problem maybe you have a app in the background eating up your battery.

any updated related to os such as 2.4 it prolly be april.
As I said before, I didn't have anything running. I closed all tasks too.

I don't think you understand, it's an Android system process eating the RAM, not a user process.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I dont have this issue. Even when running a music player while switching back and forth from gameboid to browser doesnt give me that much ram use.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Reaction score
Try an app called autokiller. Rather than running constantly and actively killing apps (often indiscriminately, or incorrectly) like ATK, autokiller simply changes the levels at which the built in Android process starts killing off processes. It runs once at startup and re-writes the values that the system uses, and then things proceed as normal. This means the system won't kill off important processes, or system processes that will start right back up (which uses battery quicker than leaving them running). For awhile I used it to keep my minimum free RAM at about 180MB, and my phone was snappy. I stopped using it because I noticed I didn't really see a performance decrease when I uninstalled it. It might help in your situation, though.