Keep it or take it back?

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
OK.
I'm not exactly sure what the term "push" really means.
I've set up many email clients on various platforms and they all have to "get" the email.
Here's what I did on the Rezound and it works flawlessly.
Download K9 mail application.
It works for me with regular pop3 accounts as well as yahoo and hotmail accounts.
When you have an account set up, long press the account name in the main K9 window and choose account settings.
Go to "fetching mail" and choose "folder poll frequency".
Set it for how often you want it to check for mail.
In my most important accounts I have it set to check every 5 minutes. Less important accounts every 15 or longer.
In the notification section you can set a custom ring tone or vibration type per account and, if htc had their stuff really together you could also set a different led color to flash for each account.
That should do it for you, though beware that custom vibrations can be problematic.
Mess with the settings some.
It's a deep program and very reliable.
I should also mention that, at least for me, the notification ring tones aren't loud enough and the vibration alerts aren't strong enough and both can be missed when in loud environments or when on the go.

Good luck.
Ask more questions if you need to.

B

willywonkaisrsh

Reaction score
Under Settings/Power- make sure "Enable sleep mode" is set to "Automatic"

Under Settings/Wireless & networks/Mobile networks- make sure "Enable always-on mobile data" is checked

These are really the only two settings that seem to cause people problems for data not syncing correctly

The Power mode settings (High performance, Normal, and Economy) really dont matter, but you need to remember that if you change the power mode that you need to go back and make sure that the previously mentioned settings are set correctly.

Also, if you have a task killer app make sure it is not messing with your email app(s).

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
I think Mr.wonka nailed it, it seems that the "always on" box is checked by default in the high performance mode, but it is not while in normal mode. So by checking this in normal mode it should resolve my issue, I will monitor it today.

I would guess the high performance mode also cranks up the processor speed and that has to add to the battery drain so leaving it in normal, while checking the network always on box, should be the perfect fix.

Stay tuned!

corki2

Reaction score
I will try this as well.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Well,I tried that with no luck at all, its like the phone went dark again.

It's weird, I did not get an email untill I switched back to HP mode then it went nuts.

Schimm

Reaction score
I've also been struggling with notifications but just got the phone yesterday. I think I set up my main internet account wrong.....should be fixed now. And I haven't met one native email widget that works reliably in Android. And I speak most recently of my Xoom and X. But, K9+Pure Messenger DID work reliably with my X. Problem is that I used ADW EX with that which is a scrollable launcher and I was able to scroll the Pure Messsenger widget. I haven't tried that with Sense yet but I'm guessing the scrolling won't work. I'll give this some time before passing judgement. Liking alot of what I see so far. And I am a Nexus refugee.

corki2

Reaction score
With Performance on Normal, Sleep to auto, data always on, I got no email.
Performance on Normal, Sleep to Manual, data always on, I get no email.
Change to High Performance with sleep set to either Manual or None, emails fly in the minute they are sent.

So, it seems like anything less than high performance and sleep mode set to auto will not allow instant syncing. Setting power to HP and choosing either manual or none for sleep mode work for me.

Editing because I tested one more time and had to change my sleep mode back to never instead of manual. Oh well...

Last edited:

esheesle

Reaction score
So what's the impact on battery having these settings? Definitely confused as to why a og droid can get push email with no problem but newer phones are causing issues. Is this isolated or does everyone have the same thing?

Schimm

Reaction score
I'll try normal battery and report... I'm on performance now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

corki2

Reaction score
So what's the impact on battery having these settings? Definitely confused as to why a og droid can get push email with no problem but newer phones are causing issues. Is this isolated or does everyone have the same thing?

Here's mine set to High Performance and never sleep.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Schimm

Reaction score
Here's what I've discovered. Power set to normal I got no gmail and email notifications. If I manually sync'd, I got the mail. Power still set to normal, go to settings/accounts&sync and check auto-sync. It wasn't checked before. Now when I send an email to myself (from another computer) to three accounts, it immediately notifies me and shows up. Weird. I think auto-sync=push sync which has gotta be a battery sucker. Perhaps unchecking auto-sync and setting your power to high performance is the optimal choice. At this point I'm just guessing.

Ha! This is my third android and I've never had to do this sorta messing around with settings. I guess it could be a good thing to have all these options. Or just confusing.

Last edited:

Schimm

Reaction score
Ah, looks like I had it wrong on auto-sync. It appears you need to have this on for syncing to occur on the schedule you specify. From the manual I just DL'd:

'Auto-sync: If this is selected, apps can use the sync schedule defined in the account settings. If this is cleared, you will need to sync accounts manually.'

.....and i just discovered that if you toggle high performance on your battery, you toggle on auto-sync. If you toggle normal battery, auto-sync is untoggled.

Last edited:
OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
I'm pretty much convinced I must use high performance mode, and I can't understand what setting we don't see or can't adjust to get normal to push email?

Schimm

Reaction score
I wouldn't get caught up into the moniker. It's the default setting and 'high performance' may not mean anything other than your sync's are automatic per schedule rather than manually done.

BTW, I thought it amusing that the manual doesn't refer to the phone as the 'Rezound'. Oh no, it's the 'Rezound with Beats Audio.' Over and over. Ad nauseum. I guess that's a way of Beats Audio getting the word out and we get kewl ear buds in return. :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

esheesle

Reaction score
Definitely noticing similar behavior. It seems that sometimes even with High performance it doesn't work right. Did the "high performance" setting fix the push email problem for everyone else?