K9 Mail & Contacts

tropicaffair

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently tried K9 Mail for my work email (POP3) in order to be able to attach a signature. I have my personal exchange account set up natively on the droid as well as one gmail account also set up natively. I have only set my work email on K9.

Here's my question, in K9 when I compose a new email how do I get it to search my contact list? If I start typing a person's name nothing happens. I have tried (& searched) to find a setting or an answer and I am at a loss. I feel I must be missing some simple set-up here, otherwise I have to manually enter the the email address of the person(s) I am sending an email to.

I have tried a few test emails and if I only put in the person's name I get a failed delivery attempt. If I type in the actual email address it sends fine.

griz8791

Reaction score
I don't have my Droid handy right now but I can confirm that K9 does do almost what you want. On mine once I have typed the first couple of letters of the e-mail address it brings up a few suggested e-mail addresses under the "to" area of the e-mail and if one of those is the one I want I can just tap on it and K9 replaces the first few letters I have already typed with the complete address.

I don't recall having to change any settings to get this behavior.

I will try to repost in this thread later today when I have the Droid in my hands and can confirm what it does.

OP
T

tropicaffair

Reaction score
I have uninstalled and re-installed K9 and I am still getting the same behavior. I also installed K9 Beta and that also does not auto populated the "To:: Box or affer email addresses to select.

I have read through the Google open source developer page and it seems that this might be a problem with the droid, but I'm not sure. Anyone with a droid and K9 that actually uses your contact list?

griz8791

Reaction score
Sorry, I promised to post more detail and spaced it.

I have a Droid and K9 and can confirm that K9 is using the email addresses in my standard Droid contacts. My wife's first name is Jean. Her last name starts with the letter F. Her email address begins with her first initial and then her complete last name. So I start typing the name "Jean" in the address field and as soon as I get to the second letter, K9 pops up her complete e-mail address.

It is doing the same thing with other names in my contacts. I have two contacts with the first name "Jim." If I type "Jim" into the to box, K9 pops up the two e-mail addresses associated with contacts in my database whose first name is Jim.

Unfortunately, this seems only to work with first names. Last names seem not to pop up any suggested email addresses.

Last edited:

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Are there any apps that will handle multiple email accounts? Preferably pop3.

griz8791

Reaction score
I am getting and reading e-mail from two POP3 accounts with K9. One of those is "primary," meaning it is the account that sends new messages originating on the Droid. I'm not sure what happened if I tried to "send" from the non-primary account.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Ah, cool. I'll try that and see what I can do with it. Thanks.

griz8791

Reaction score
There is also a pop-up program for that application by a third-party developer. It's just called Email Popup and it only works with K9.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I tried K-9 and it looks like it is going to do exactly what I want. I may try email pop-up later.

OP
T

tropicaffair

Reaction score
OK,

I have tried everything I can think of. K9 is still not using my contacts to populate the "To:" window when composing emails. I have to manually enter the email address(s) that I want to use. Any thoughts??

arcitek

Reaction score
I hate to bump an old post but this is getting so annoying and I see I am not the only one who think this is ridiculous. I love this email app except for one thing that is becoming extremely annoying. How do you EASILY add multiple contacts in cc or bcc????? It should give you the option to select from your contact list in lieu of having to remember the email of a gazillion contacts. It should let us scroll our email contacts.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to bump an old post but this is getting so annoying and I see I am not the only one who think this is ridiculous. I love this email app except for one thing that is becoming extremely annoying. How do you EASILY add multiple contacts in cc or bcc????? It should give you the option to select from your contact list in lieu of having to remember the email of a gazillion contacts. It should let us scroll our email contacts.

Your question interested me so I checked the way K-9 works when accessing my gmail contacts. Frankly, I'm somewhat mystified by your problem. I can type "Dan" in the subject line and it accesses all my gmail contacts whose first name is "Dan." I can add multiple cc's and bcc's by hitting the cc/bcc soft key. Of course, it does not search last names (a weakness of gmail in general), but it seems to work as designed.

Perhaps it's because I use k-9 with my gmail account and only with my gmail account.

arcitek

Reaction score
I hear what your saying but download handcent for texting once and you will see what I mean. If I have 100 business contacts, it is hard to remember everyone's name or did I file by name or company name. Being able to get into contacts from the email would be nice.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My K-9 auto populates addresses with a few letters. I have 10 friends/business contacts named Mike. Press in the "To" box, type-M-I pulls them all up to choose. Another thing you can do to help is go to contacts. Search or scroll to your contact, open the contact, press the email address. A list of all of your email apps will come up. Choose K-9 and that contacts email will be in the "To" box

celin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
oppo a72
I had today the same problem after transfer k9 from old phone to the new one. The proposition of the destination contact is blocked if you do not allow the permission to Contacts to the K9 app. Verify you have the permission to access the contacts anbled for K9-mail.