K9 Mail client

kunzy

Reaction score
Ok found a thread a few days back that was listing top five apps for this and that... had a problem with the email client that came with the DX wasn't letting me send email (even after talking with my IProvider about my settings) so I tried K9. Two questions..1. how do i stop the email client that came with the phone from recieving emails 2. when i had an email with K9 that had an attachment K9 wouldn't show it, came up with the error "Unable to find viewer for application/octet-stream" the email that came with phone is able to read it. thanks in advance for any responses

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
go into the stock email one and click settings and turn off the notifications.

not sure about that second one. what kind of file is it?

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
its a DOCX extension.. was done in msword on a older computer and my wife attached it in a homepc email and i was able to view it through the phone email client but not K9

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
idk lemme see if i can open a .docx file

lol was it my thread for the top apps?

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
LOL....Yeah i think it was.. EXCELLENT THREAD

tourplayer

Reaction score
I can open up docx attachments through k9 and xlsx spreadsheets as long as they aren't pw protected.

FWIW, K9 had a recent update in the market. I'm pretty sure I could do this before the update but I'm not 100%.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can open up docx attachments through k9 and xlsx spreadsheets as long as they aren't pw protected.

FWIW, K9 had a recent update in the market. I'm pretty sure I could do this before the update but I'm not 100%.

The version that is in the market right now is the most current version. The devs however are not very good about keeping the market up-to-date. I just went to their website and checked and there were twenty updates between the two most recent market versions. So if you are going to use K-9 go to their website and update frequently: Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

You've gotten a good answer to your first question: just go into settings on the native email app and set polling to "never". On the other issue, when I use K-9 I too can open docx documents. I do use Documents to Go and I know others use Gdocs. You may want to go here and check out some additional info: Wiki Pages - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

Good luck.

OP
K

kunzy

Reaction score
thanks i'm gonna check that out and see what i can find