K9 email on Droid

kwass

Reaction score
I am a long time BB user and recently purchased the Droid on Verizon. I installed the K9 email app since I wanted some additional functionality but I am unable to get this thing to work. On - Checking outgoing server settings - I get a error message saying "Cannot connect to server. (Unable to open connection to SMTP server)

My company uses a hosted Exchange Server that I am trying to connect to.

I am not a developer but do know a little about technology so any help would be appreciated.

SmittyZ3M

Reaction score
Have you tried using the "stock/standard" e-mail application to sync to your company's Exchange server, instead of K-9?

I have used K-9 to connect to POP3 servers. I originally attempted to use the "stock/standard" e-mail application to connect to my POP3 server, but I found it to be very buggy. I came across K-9 and I feel that it works very well for me.

zmeflyby

Reaction score
I tried using k-9, but it was really buggy. The original email application is better. sadly....

danhur

Reaction score
I tried many times to get my msn account with the original email app. But everytime I ran the email app it failed with a dialog box saying application halted. Tried k9 and now have all 4 email accounts running great not one failure. I don't use exchange at my company just pop but k9 is a droid saver for me.

tishabarr

Reaction score
I have my hotmail acct. linked to k 9. I have no problem getting emails or notifications, but is there a way to view my hotmail contacts through k9?

Spartan

Reaction score
I tried using k-9, but it was really buggy. The original email application is better. sadly....

You might want to try again. The new version (2.403) which is available in the market is much better than the stock version. It allows for multiple accounts, signatures, bulk deletion of emails and more. It is significantly better than stock IMHO.

droidemere

Reaction score
K9 has never worked for my work email..even with the new updated version..Always messes up when configuring outgoing server..The stock email app is pretty nice..I get all my work emails no problem..the only bad thing is it doesn't allow you to add a signature when sending out emails..other than that, it works just fine.

slinky

Reaction score
I am very discriminating. K-9 works very well and I put it through the ringer. I still haven't heard why it doesn't work for you except for user error.

jacktmn

Reaction score
K9 questions

I have 2 questions about K9 i assume it works on the Driod

1. Does it work with IMAP
2. Does it have a Spell Checker

Thank you for any information

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have 2 questions about K9 i assume it works on the Driod

1. Does it work with IMAP
2. Does it have a Spell Checker

Thank you for any information

1. Yes, it can. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with 100% of IMAP servers. I had an issue where I wanted to check email on a server running old software and K9 just couldn't hack it. I posted a bug report on the K9 site and it might be ironed out in the latest releases but I haven't tried it.

2. No.

rdejr

Reaction score
Including Original Text in Email Replies

Using HTC Incredible with K-9 via IMAP - when i reply to an email, is there a way to include the original message? thx

Bulbufet

Reaction score
I am a long time BB user and recently purchased the Droid on Verizon. I installed the K9 email app since I wanted some additional functionality but I am unable to get this thing to work. On - Checking outgoing server settings - I get a error message saying "Cannot connect to server. (Unable to open connection to SMTP server)

My company uses a hosted Exchange Server that I am trying to connect to.

I am not a developer but do know a little about technology so any help would be appreciated.

I was a BB user for the longest time, and I had very few issues with connecting to the Exchange Servers at the universtiy I work at. However, when I made the switch to Droid, I had significantly more problems connecting. What I found out was that our exchange servers don't support Active Sync, a Droid-based software that interfaces with Exchange servers. Active sync is used by both K9 and the stock email application.

First, I would find out if your servers are compatible with Active Sync, and if not, then try to connect through IMAP or POP3. Be sure to retrieve the ports for incomming and outgoing mail.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use K9 and the corporate email app. K9 does a fantastic job of handling my Gmail and the corporate app handles my Exchange.

I've tried to add my exchange to K9 but have not been successful.

I'm told that Touchdown will handle POP, IMAP, and Exchange but it is a paid app (over $20).

Mike