K-9 Help

jhom

Reaction score
I've recently switched from the native droid email client to K-9. I have been able to use the app, but I have some specific questions about its setup:

1. If I'm using push for my accounts do I have to also use polling?

2. Does using push instead of polling save me any on battery life since I'm not polling periodically such as every 15 minutes.

3. On the K-9 website, there are listings for newer versions of the app. However, descriptions of the changes and features are not posted. The last Market listing was in January. Since then there are numerous updates. What do I risk if I update to a newer version?

Thanks,
Jim

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've recently switched from the native droid email client to K-9. I have been able to use the app, but I have some specific questions about its setup:

1. If I'm using push for my accounts do I have to also use polling? NO!

2. Does using push instead of polling save me any on battery life since I'm not polling periodically such as every 15 minutes. YES!

3. On the K-9 website, there are listings for newer versions of the app. However, descriptions of the changes and features are not posted. The last Market listing was in January. Since then there are numerous updates. What do I risk if I update to a newer version?

Thanks,
Jim

What website are you referring to?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

1. If I'm using push for my accounts do I have to also use polling?

2. Does using push instead of polling save me any on battery life since I'm not polling periodically such as every 15 minutes.

Thanks,
Jim

1. No, but it is ok if you do.
2. I don't know but you might want to try both ways and analyze which method uses more battery via settings > battery usage. Either way should be minimal. Interesting experiment.
3. I have used the beta releases and they are good. If one has been around for a few days without update then there are probably no major problems. They've fixed a lot since the latest market release, but I use the market version and I like it. I don't think that newer versions have much "risk" to them. You may lose all email saved on your phone. Go for it!

OP
jhom

jhom

Reaction score
jsh1120...Thanks for the quick response. It is good to know that I don't need polling and push can save me some battery life.

Now, I need to find out if the newer versions improve the app.

Thanks,
Jim

OP
jhom

jhom

Reaction score
aminaked...thanks, I guess I'll make it a project for this weekend.

Jim

marvin02

Reaction score

1. If I'm using push for my accounts do I have to also use polling

Not unless you are a "belt and suspenders" person. Remember this only applies to IMAP, you have to poll POP servers. If the IMAP server does not support IMAP idle then push won't work. Check by sending yourself an e-mail.

I think so, but I've never tested by using only polling for a period of time to compare. How often you get mail may make a difference also. If you get mail every couple of minutes then push notification may take more resources.

Thanks,
Jim

Release Notes for K-9. My installed version (on my Backflip) is 2.403 which is the latest version listed on the web site. Are you checking your version number by going to Manu->About while K-9 is running?

Edit: I see now you are talking about versions available from the developer's download page.

What website are you referring to?

K-9 Website

Last edited:
OP
jhom

jhom

Reaction score
There are now updates numbered 27xx. 2403 seems a long time ago in the project. I assume that some of the updates are for minor modifications.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a benefit to installing the latest versions using an APK?

Each iteration includes various updates, enhancements and bug fixes. I routinely check the website for updates (within K-9, go to Menu/About to access the link to the latest apk on your phone).

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a benefit to installing the latest versions using an APK?

Each iteration includes various updates, enhancements and bug fixes. I routinely check the website for updates (within K-9, go to Menu/About to access the link to the latest apk on your phone).

I don't have an "About" choice in the Droid menu for K-9. Could be that the fact that you're rooted provides that information.

P.S. Just downloaded 2701. Appears to function as the version from the market does. However, the notification now gives me the header of the email received. Nice touch.

Last edited:
OP
jhom

jhom

Reaction score

I don't have an "About" choice in the Droid menu for K-9. Could be that the fact that you're rooted provides that information.

P.S. Just downloaded 2701. Appears to function as the version from the market does. However, the notification now gives me the header of the email received. Nice touch.

Yep, I just downloaded 2701. So far, so good. It is nice that now K-9 allows for an integrated folder of multiple email accounts. I don't have to search each account individually. Keep the features coming.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I downloaded the new APK - it's nicer. I think it's faster and when you go into the K-9 program now it has a selection so you can see all your accounts rather than one by one.

It also shows you the headline of ever new message which is nice. Worth the upgrade.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if there was a widget for K-9 that showed all the new messages at once... all of the accounts.