Just swapped Iphone for Driod X

WarDamnEa6le

Reaction score
Hello to all, AT&T finally made me mad enough to cancel my service after 10 years or so.. Let me start by saying while I hated AT&T I loved my Iphones. Just picked up the Droid X and am still getting used to it.. It's a great unit but my question to all you guys and gals is what is some do's and don'ts of the droid and droid market.. What are the must get apps and just any overall advice to get the most out of my droid.. Thanks

Last edited:

Scott26

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a Droid X as well and would like some feedback here as well.

Jeyman

Reaction score
First question to be had is. Do you plan to root? I dont have a droidx(moto droid user) but that will give some people an idea of what you should do.

How to set up the device and such; people can give you ideas, but its up to you on how the final set up will be. No droid is the same ~_~ lol

OP
WarDamnEa6le

WarDamnEa6le

Reaction score
I am assuming that rooting is the same as jailbreaking in the iphone world.. I don't know if i will or not.. I have been a droid user for only about 24 hours or so. I haven't yet seen the need for rooting.. The only reason i did the jailbreak on my iphones was because Apple was apparently to stupid to put a video camera on a phone until the 3gs.. anyway what do I get out of rooting the droid.. I use my phone for alot really, I'm on the road alot, I take care of alot of business on my phone but at the same time I use it for entertainment just as much... Not having my netflix app anymore really sucks. Droid i guess is trying to save blockbuster instead

Jeyman

Reaction score
main draw to root for me was that I could end adds(adfree) and help my battery life a ton. Custom roms as well are very nice.

If you just want a normal everyday phone, like a iphone. You should be fine without rooting it.

Canadroid

Reaction score
I am assuming that rooting is the same as jailbreaking in the iphone world.. I don't know if i will or not.. I have been a droid user for only about 24 hours or so. I haven't yet seen the need for rooting.. The only reason i did the jailbreak on my iphones was because Apple was apparently to stupid to put a video camera on a phone until the 3gs.. anyway what do I get out of rooting the droid.. I use my phone for alot really, I'm on the road alot, I take care of alot of business on my phone but at the same time I use it for entertainment just as much... Not having my netflix app anymore really sucks. Droid i guess is trying to save blockbuster instead

It's not quite the same. If you were jail broken on the Iphone, you may necessarily want to be rooted. I've never had an Iphone but as I understand it the big attraction for many w/ JB was simply the ability to install whatever apps and files you wished outside of Stevies camp--with the Dx you already have the capability for the most part by nature of the OS.

With power of root you add basically admin type privileges such as being able to access and edit system files, run monitor apps that require those privileges, etc etc. This may or may not be needed for the average use. Titanium Backup is an example of a popular app that some folks will root to use and leave it at that.

Plenty of stuff to do with root, and even more reading about it here, but like I said it's not for everyone. There are some risks involved not present in the Jailbreak/Iphone world.

evltwn72

Reaction score
I upgraded to the DX after my rooted OG Droid touchscreen went crazy on me. I rooted using Z4root on my DX. My main reason for rooting was to wireless tether. What kinds of things are you looking to do with your Droid is what you should be asking yourself. Look into different home launchers too. Launcher Pro and ADW are 2 of the more popular choices.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App