Just ordered a replacement Droid X2. Is this a good idea?

litetaker

Reaction score
Hey there,
Some of you may have read some of my previous posts, which were primarily rants about issues (mainly music related) on my Droid X2 and asking help to troubleshoot it. Finally, I decided to get this phone replaced, since as a customer who paid $199 (not the $99 it is now) on a slab of hi-tech gizmo, I expect perfection. The replacement is supposed to arrive on Monday. Now, I realize that the replacement is a refurbished Droid X2. Great! I bought a brand new one which is buggy and now I get treated with a refurb. Doesn't that just suck! :(

And by the way, if the phone I am going to receive is a refurb then does that mean a previous disgruntled owner like me returned it? And if so, doesn't that automatically imply that that phone is gonna have issues too? Please tell me I am woefully wrong.

Bottom line: I have some problems with my ~2 month old phone. So, I am getting a refurb. Now I am naively asking if what I did was a good idea or if I just acted hastily. I will be pissed off with myself if the replacement phone has more issues than my current one.

I hope that the new phone is better! I love the Droid X2. On paper it is an awesome phone and I can not think of a better one. It is mostly great. But at $199, it should just be better...

Cheers!

Gblake13

Reaction score
Refurbs are phones someone either returned cause they didn't work or decided in the first 15 days they didn't want. They're supposedly sent to the manufacturer to be repaired but out of about 15 that I've gotten in the 4 years I've been with Verizon I got one that worked. What was the issue u had? The x2 is very buggy to begin with. Ill help u if I can, I'm not a huge expert but I know a thing or two.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
I already ordered the replacement. So, if I get my X2 sorted out in the meantime, can I cancel the replacement?

Anyway, one of the main problems that I am facing is music stutter. It is more frequent than what most people say on 2.3.4. It stutters when I get a notification for an email, and other notifications also. It sometimes stutters randomly even if I am doing absolutely nothing on the phone.

The other issues with the phone are random. Recently, my phone switched off on its own accord. The only way to turn it on again was to pull the battery. Yesterday, when I was using my phone in the evening, it was "very", "very" laggy. The keyboard lagged, the OS on the whole was lagging. The music stuttered happily. There are more such instances of such lagging issues and etc. Oh yeah and recently when I was trying to play a game, it totally froze the phone and rebooted it. I don't remember which game it was that I tried to play. I think my phone recently rebooted when I used it for navigation. So, yeah, the phone keeps popping up issues at random. The thing is that I hardly use the phone in the day. It is mostly tucked in my pocket doing nothing. And the few times I use it (during the bus ride to and from college) the phone does this sort of stuff. On some days, the phone works whenever I use it and on some days it likes to irritate me in its own way. The point I am trying to make is that this phone is showing a sizeable number of issues on what I would classify as mild to moderate usage per day. I am sure it will have more issues if I used it more often.

I am on the latest 2.3.4 update btw. In light of the issues I have been having, may be I wasn't hasty with the decision of replacing the phone, don't you think?

Gblake13

Reaction score
I don't hesitate to complain when mime don't work right either. Sounds like u got some issues with urs though. Do u have a task killer? Did u do any master resets?

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
I don't have task killers. I have "Quick System Info Pro" which probably does some task killing. I did a couple of master resets. And the problem persists.

Gblake13

Reaction score
When u did ur resets did u go a few days without apps?

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
No. Hmm... should I try doing that? Geez, is it possible to cancel the replacement phone till I test out my existent phone some more?

Gblake13

Reaction score
Nope u can't cancel it. And yes some apps on market can mess up your phone. Supposedly virus scans, any kind of system accessing files. Also the x2 has very little ram I got a task killer so I could free it up when I want.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
actually that is incorrect... the droid x2 has plenty of ram with dedicated ram for the video alone... Some people are just prone to getting phones with issues while others never do? I am one that usually does, lol. Refurbs will 99% of the time be better off as the must have a new shell applied and thoroughly checked where as line pieces only have random QC pulls.
You have 15 days to be happy with the replacement as well and they will keep sending you another until you are!
I have both the X2 and the bionic and love them both! Sounds like you have just gotten one that slipped past QC. You can use a real killer but most recommend against out and if you get used to exiting out of programs where applicable rather than just hitting the home key you should notice a great improvement in lag.
When the new phone arrives add back programs slowly, if one conflicts with the system, find an alternative.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Gblake13

Reaction score
That's not right. Refurbs get 5 days now to return their phone.

Gblake13

Reaction score
You used to get 15 days but now Verizon made it so u get 15 on new hand sets and 5 on refurbished exchanges. Just went through it with my vortex that's how I got my x2

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
That's not right. Refurbs get 5 days now to return their phone.

Lol, that's what the boogie monster tells you to scare you into being responsible and not leaving on the table for 6 Weeks and only remembering it when you're next Bill comes in with a rude awakening, lol... I've processed, in excess of a doz reforms over the least year alone and never had a problem that a phone call didn't fix... Regen had one billed the same day I got it because it was held up over the weeks end.
Get it... Use it... Like it or replace it... Rinse, lather, repeat....

Hiker5208

Reaction score
Lol, that's what the boogie monster tells you to scare you into being responsible and not leaving on the table for 6 Weeks and only remembering it when you're next Bill comes in with a rude awakening, lol... I've processed, in excess of a doz reforms over the least year alone and never had a problem that a phone call didn't fix... Regen had one billed the same day I got it because it was held up over the weeks end.
Get it... Use it... Like it or replace it... Rinse, lather, repeat....

I recently went through 4 Droid X in a 14 day timeframe after the latest update on them. Reboots 6-8 times a day with no warning and 4-6 hours before recharging on an extended battery amongst other things. After all that I finally got an X2 and the only real issue I had with that is it not turning on some mornings without a battery pull. That was fixed by the latest update and now it works great!

tommyg562000

Reaction score
This is what I recommend. Even if the refurbished comes with the 2.3.4 update, use rsdlite to install the 2.3.4 sbf. When I took the ota it sucked, it was slow and battery life horrible. When I reflashed with the sbf file my phone works like a champ and I have no issues anymore.

Gblake13

Reaction score
Where do you get the 2.3.4 and and how do u use rsdlite to flash it?