Just love my Droid. Wondering about newest model.

chamarette

Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't been here for awhile and wondering what it the very newst model of the Droid. I guess I don't get the hype on the IPhone when you could have a Droid. :) I'm female and 68.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
hi and welcome to the forum. which Droid do you have? the forum has many diff types of phone models with lots of info, including the latest models that are out or soon to be out like thunderbolt and bionic

Aloha from Hawaii

OP
C

chamarette

Reaction score
Which Droid is best

Hi Princess,

I have the Droid that really doesn't have an extended name. I got it a few years ago before they started adding new models. It works great, but I am always investigating new models to see what is offered that I don't have now.

Very important to me is the voice function where I can dictate the text for messages, e-mails and apps that offer that function. Interested in 4G, but not having any problems now. I saw that someone else posted the same question as me and feels that his original Droid seems too not have the problems that some of the more advanced models have.

These smart phones are incredible and I'm not sure how I functioned without mine before. I am still amazed at the apps that are offered for free or for a incredibly low price. I usually get the full versions of the apps I do buy since I am very selective when it comes to loading my phone up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Any suggestions for a better model? I want to stick with the Droid since I am so satisfied with the one I have.

Thanks,

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I too am a gadget junkie and have the original Droid. I got mine a couple of days after launch back in 2009. I am currently in the process of upgrading as well. The two promising new releases are the Thunderbolt by HTC and the Bionic (which I believe is by Motorola, the developer of the original Droid). After reading up on both my personal choice is going to be the Thunderbolt. I have loved the Evo since it came out on Sprint and the Thunderbolt is an updated version of the Evo only for Verizon. That is my opinion but I would suggest you read the respective threads on both phones and see what fits you best. To find the respective subsections, click on the Forum tab at the top of this page then scroll down until you see either the Droid Bionic or HTC Thunderbolt. Happy reading and Welcome to the forum.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
absolutely understand. IMO I think its how each phone will suit ur needs the most. I agree these phones have surpassed what many really anticipated. i like the idea of dual processors, faster Ghz, but really what is the true purpose of our phones nowadays? Lol...quad-core android phones is definitely on the rise. in Hawaii we don't have 4G yet so basically no sense in getting another phone for me.
but ya if u have the original Droid and nothing wrong with it, id say keep it till ur ready. im one of those that likes to read the rants and raves, wanna way out my options and see what has the better options that suits my needs. so we aren't so different hahaha...
Bionic has DDR2 RAM with HD video capabilities. but I believe Thunderbolt has a slight edge in RAM.
Atria 4G? well im not an AT& T fan so...no vote for me. Lol. either way, try them all out! break it in the stores cause it isn't urs till u buy it. LOL JK

Aloha from Hawaii

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't been here for awhile and wondering what it the very newst model of the Droid. I guess I don't get the hype on the IPhone when you could have a Droid. :) I'm female and 68.

Welcome aboard and I too have the Droid 1.

All the new phones that have come out since the original Droid was introduced in November of 2009 are all so great and the specs are getting to be more and more the same. I am at the point that phone selection, for me, is going to be totally based on looks and feel. My next phone is going to be the one that I think looks the best and feels the best in my hands. If I was buying today, it's be the X. I will not buy until late summer and the X2 may be out then or even the Droid 3. It's an exciting time to be buying phones!!!

My wife, who is not a techie, is pressing me to get a new phone because she is lusting after my D1!! :)

OP
C

chamarette

Reaction score
What is weird for me and different is that I rarely use my Droid as a phone. I'm retired and use my regular home phone for calling. I have unlimited callint and a wireless headset that is very handy for long calls. I got my original cell phone for emergencies while driving and still do. It's all the functions that the Droid provides that have me in love with it. Nagivation is better than the one that came with my Honda Odyssey and better than another that I tried. I like the instant weather reports, news, medical info, shopping app, notes, what on at the movies, Kindle reader with access to tons of books, e-mail, crossword games and many more. What more could you ask of a phone that you can fit in your pocket. But I'm sure that something is going to come up that I just have to have. So for now, I'll just do as some of the others do and read all the pros and cons of the other models.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
retired or not, this little gadget gotcha hooked huh?! LOL...in all serious it does keep the mind busy but ruins the eyes. hahaha
yes im doing the same and watch the hype unfold.

What is weird for me and different is that I rarely use my Droid as a phone. I'm retired and use my regular home phone for calling. I have unlimited callint and a wireless headset that is very handy for long calls. I got my original cell phone for emergencies while driving and still do. It's all the functions that the Droid provides that have me in love with it. Nagivation is better than the one that came with my Honda Odyssey and better than another that I tried. I like the instant weather reports, news, medical info, shopping app, notes, what on at the movies, Kindle reader with access to tons of books, e-mail, crossword games and many more. What more could you ask of a phone that you can fit in your pocket. But I'm sure that something is going to come up that I just have to have. So for now, I'll just do as some of the others do and read all the pros and cons of the other models.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

Aloha from Hawaii