Just in case you didn't know (Navigation)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
awesome. This was actually driving me crazy. I kept getting places with "home" in the name and couldn't figure out why the damn thing couldn't just send me to my address.

-Wil
lol.........

funny stuff right there. Probobly wasted 20 minutes trying to get the right destination lol

JD92694

Reaction score
Did you also notice that when you are in navigation that if you double tap on the screen when it is in 2D if there is google street view available it will show the road you are on in street view. Very cool if you are not sure what the intersection looks like.

bennyj

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to have the voice for navigation come thru thier bluetooth earpeice? This used to work when I had vz nav. but now it only comes thru the speakerphone on my droid and not my bluetooth?

russwhite

Reaction score
Failed To Load My Maps

The other thing to do is log into google maps from your computer and create a layer with all the locations that are important to you. Then when you go on your phone and add a layer you can choose to add the google maps layer, and it will overlay the points of interest on the google map app. So you don't have to create shortcuts.

This no longer works for me. I had created a MyMap with the waypoints from my Garmin. When I added google maps layer it would load the waypoints and they were available on the map as well as individually named when I pressed the 'options" icon in the lower left corner of the map screen. This was very cool and I loved it. I attempted to demo this funcionality to a friend today and got the message "Loading" - shortly followed by "Failed To Load My Maps". I am able to log into my account and view the map on my PC. I did go ahead and update to the 3.2.1 Google Maps application on the Droid. I have tried this many times and on both 3G and WiFi. On most occasions the "Failed" messages is displayed after a very brief "Loading" message. On other times it spends much longer on the loading and I begin to think it might work, but then it displays the failed message again. Just curious if anyone else might be experiencing this change in operation or have some suggestion. Thanks, Russ

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This had not been a problem for me, but i loaded my maps after the upgrade, which shouldn't matter. All it's doing is grabbing the layer from google itself.

Starsushi

Reaction score
I don't understand why some people are having a problem with navigating from a short cut.

I have my home address in my contacts, and have created a shortcut on my desktop which is in my "nav" folder.

When I do a long press on the search button and voice search comes up I say, "navigate to Brighton" and the voice guided navigation comes right up.

Maybe it's because I called it "Brighton" and not "home"?

It would be nice though if the same voice command would work with music though...

russwhite

Reaction score
got the message "Loading" - shortly followed by "Failed To Load My Maps". I am able to log into my account and view the map on my PC. I did go ahead and update to the 3.2.1 Google Maps application on the Droid. I have tried this many times and on both 3G and WiFi. On most occasions the "Failed" messages is displayed after a very brief "Loading" message. On other times it spends much longer on the loading and I begin to think it might work, but then it displays the failed message again. Just curious if anyone else might be experiencing this change in operation or have some suggestion. Thanks, Russ

Just a follow up on this problem with a question....

I kept trying to get the My Map layers to load, and it kept refusing. In desperation I tried to join Latitudes - not really knowing what that was. It did its "loading..." thing with the circle iron rotating for a bit and I hit the "back" button. The very next time I tried layers again for my maps I briefly saw a message - something like - Logging into Google - and then my maps were availabe for loading and all worked as before. So, that mya be a workaround for others, but the quesiton I have is how do you force the phone to login your Google Account? Thanks, Russ