Just in case this happens to you....

Insidious

Reaction score
Okay guys/gals, you may have seen my frantic posts in the help section, and after getting everything worked out I figured that I should share what I did. So I was installing CleanICS 2.0, and followed the steps and as I booted into recovery so it could install the kernel the unthinkable happened. "update failed mainver old," is what I think it said. So after hours of downloading and experimenting; ripping out kernels and trying new ones, trying to push things through fastboot with no avail I was ready to give up. Angry at myself, disappointed, and unsure of how I would bring this to Verizon I turned my laptop off, and took the battery out of my phone when it hit me. I'll just copy the kernel from my nandroid onto the sd, and delete the ph98img.zip and see what happens. I was able to boot into hboot, with a few random errors because it couldn't find the .img and luckily was able to boot into Amon Ra. I then preceeded to wipe data and flashed my nandroid. It booted, thank God but I wasnt getting any signal and it kept rebooting. The rebooting stopped but still no signal. I tried the RUU but I kept getting a (I think it was) error 155. I rebooted back into Amon Ra and did another factory reset. Success! My phone works great now! Thanks for listening, and the way you can get your usb on the computer is A). Put it in a different phone and connect it via usb, or B). If you have a Verizon USB760 aircard that has a micro usb slot, you can pop it into that and you're set!
DancingNexus

Not sure if this should be stickied or not, but it could definitely save some headaches.

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
If the OTA mainver is 2.01.605.11 then that's what I'm at, and thanks for updating the Rom!!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
Yep, thats what I did! Just takes time. I dev for about 5 devices so... You know how that goes :)

I know its no easy task! I appreciate all your work, and honestly I have no idea why I tried flashing 2.0 even though I was on the OTA I guess I got too excited. :b

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
Okay guys/gals, you may have seen my frantic posts in the help section, and after getting everything worked out I figured that I should share what I did. So I was installing CleanICS 2.0, and followed the steps and as I booted into recovery so it could install the kernel the unthinkable happened. "update failed mainver old," is what I think it said. So after hours of downloading and experimenting; ripping out kernels and trying new ones, trying to push things through fastboot with no avail I was ready to give up. Angry at myself, disappointed, and unsure of how I would bring this to Verizon I turned my laptop off, and took the battery out of my phone when it hit me. I'll just copy the kernel from my nandroid onto the sd, and delete the ph98img.zip and see what happens. I was able to boot into hboot, with a few random errors because it couldn't find the .img and luckily was able to boot into Amon Ra. I then preceeded to wipe data and flashed my nandroid. It booted, thank God but I wasnt getting any signal and it kept rebooting. The rebooting stopped but still no signal. I tried the RUU but I kept getting a (I think it was) error 155. I rebooted back into Amon Ra and did another factory reset. Success! My phone works great now! Thanks for listening, and the way you can get your sd on the computer is A). Put it in a different phone and connect it via usb, or B). If you have a Verizon USB760 aircard that has a micro usb slot, you can pop it into that and you're set!
DancingNexus

Not sure if this should be stickied or not, but it could definitely save some headaches.

Edit: I just realized that I said clean ICS instead of Senseless ICS but in guessing the kernel is the same.

Last edited:

scrosler

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scottsroms.com
Edit: I just realized that I said clean ICS instead of Senseless ICS but in guessing the kernel is the same.

It is, but I did not update Senseless yet. So you can always just grab the PH98IMG.zip from the latest CleanROM and use that.

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
That's true, sorry for the mixup there!

JTAC

Reaction score
I had run into this same issue the other day as well. Was getting a boot loop. Managed to get to recovery and loaded up Scott's ROMs 1.6.5

chained22

Reaction score
I was on ineffabilis alpha build and liked it, and wanted to try scotts 2.3 ics. I read thru the comments to see if anyone was having major problemm. So I took the plunge last night, dropped the rom on my SD, rebooted in clockwork, the rom ran with out a hitch, but when it came to launching back to the bootloader after and loading kernel it would just say " main version is older- update fail", then I get stuck on the 4g boot screen. i posted this in the thread for the rom build and was told to go download the clean gingerbread version scott made and pull the ph98img.zip, place this on my sd and relaunch in to bootloader and that should fix the error message. Well, it didn't. i noticed from above that this problem is supposedly fixed, then why am i receiving it still and who do i fix the problem