Juicy New Leaked Pic and Customization Details of the Moto X

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-case-back.jpg

It looks like Googorola is using the power of trickling leaks as free advertising. The latest is another pic of the device in the wild. This one looks just like the white we witnessed in Eric Schmidt's hands this morning. This shot is a bit more of a closeup though and really gives a great look at the device's shape and materials.

As it turns out, the previous intel about customizable materials is true. Taylor Wimberly shared this pic, and along with it he shared that the Moto X will have a good variety of different materials choices for folks who want to order one of the customized versions. Here's a quote from his Google+ page with the details,

People keep asking for Moto X leaks, so here is another tidbit. Moto X features a curved design engineered from ground up for personalization. As I reported awhile back, users will be able to pick the material for the backplate. Plastic is the default material, but wood is also an option that should be available at launch. Other materials like metals, ceramics, and fabrics should become available after the August 23rd launch. AT&T has some kind of "exclusive" thing for the Moto X launch, but I don't know if it's an exclusive material/color or something else completely different.

Besides the interesting listing of exotic materials, it's interesting to note that each carrier could have their own "exclusive" customization option. Which one of these materials sounds most appealing to you?

Source: Google+ - Taylor Wimberly

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Exactly what I was going to post. lol
Wood sounds pretty damn cool.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Brushed Titanium would be nice as long as it didnt interfere with the signal. I have a thing for titanium right now for some reason.

Ceramic seems like it would be very....breakable.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
They're bringing back the old school phone idea with new tech. I used to have a wood face on my Nokia MANY moons ago...

View attachment 64685

It used to be that you'd buy the phone and there was a MASSIVE aftermarket for personalized options.
The phone skin, button pads, antennae types, all of it. You could just pluck the actual cover off of the phone and buy the exterior bits and pieces and snap them on. Unless you purchased terrible quality parts it still had the "factory" feel. So, I guess they offer the bones & guts and you provide/pick the skin.

Interesting. We'll see what happens.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Not feeling these genius ideas one bit.. To each their own.. Good luck Moto! I won't be supporting...

N2 Tap'd

jspradling7

Reaction score
Not feeling these genius ideas one bit.. To each their own.. Good luck Moto! I won't be supporting...

N2 Tap'd

I'm very happy to see Moto try something less... squarish. I don't use robot pinchers to pick up a phone, give me a little bit of rounded corners and curves and I'll enjoy using the phone more than holding the flat end of a spatula. The volume button is still on the wrong side though. : )

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i think the volume button is easier to operate with a thumb if you're right handed, so it'll take getting used to but better in the end.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I would think that Google would still be looking to release non-carrier specific devices in an effort to allow unlocked bootloaders without Verizon or any other carrier having a say in the matter. Google seems to favor the lowly and intrepid developers who endeavor to really get into the guts of a phone, customize the **** out of it, and squeeze out every drop of performance so the device can achieve its true potential.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is Verizon wants control of the phones on their network. I don't see any unlocked Verizon phones coming in the near future from Google.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Who doesn't have a thing for Titanium?

Brushed Titanium would be nice as long as it didnt interfere with the signal. I have a thing for titanium right now for some reason.

Perhaps because Titanium is as strong as Stainless Steel but only as light as aluminum?

I worked with Titanium and it's amazing stuff. To machine it you must use super sharp super hard tooling with a constant flush of coolant.
We made small high pressure tanks and when they were being cut on the lather they howled in an upper harmonic that made your teeth vibrate!

To weld it you need some sort of purge gas (Argon) or electron beam welding in a hard vacuum. It forms oxides so fast you can't weld it in air, or at least not easily.
I had a chunk and just loved playing with it.