Juice defender ultimate

Scott0719

Reaction score
After reading another thread about battery life I decided to give this a try. Now I could use some help lol. I was using the smart actions to control data usage and conserve battery life and that was ok. Everything I read about Juice Defender ultimate said it would work a lot better. I set up everything the way I think works for me. I just want to know if I can set up something the way the smart actions worked. In smart actions I would have it turn off some things between the hours of 8:30 and 4:30 mon-fri. Can I do that in Juice defender? I didn't see anything but that doesn't mean its not there.

Any help and or tips on a good way to set up the app is greatly appreciated.

SallyC

Reaction score
There is the ability to set up schedules, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for. You can look at the manual here - as you can see it's pretty easy to follow with screen shots and explanations. I have also found their support to be excellent.

I'm thinking what you are wanting to do might be under the Schedules section where you can set the connectivity based on things like times of day or days of the week. If there are particular apps you want to do things like always stay connected, or connected when the screen is off, then I would look at the Apps section.

ltcalex

Reaction score
I am poviding youthe web site that gives you screen shot of what juicedefender's (JD) options are. There are many more than Smart Actions. Today, I came home from work and my RAZR with JD still had 40% battery. I believe with the three threads that are running which includes mine, there is enough evidence that although Smart Actions work, JD is a good supplement to it with many more controls, IMHO

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.ultimatejuice&hl=en

OP
S

Scott0719

Reaction score
Thanks SallyC. That seems to be pretty helpful. I still don't know if this will work for me or not. Sometimes when there are too many options I just choose not to use it because it becomes too complicated for me.

One thing that confuses me when reading some descriptions is how they use the word "radios" for things. I don't get what that means or why they are calling it a bluetooth radio or whatever. Also, there are some comments in the app saying that it has not been tested or something. That just doesn't make me want to use the app. I'll play with it some more and see if I can configure it the way I would like. If you have any other tips please let me know.

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks SallyC. That seems to be pretty helpful. I still don't know if this will work for me or not. Sometimes when there are too many options I just choose not to use it because it becomes too complicated for me.

One thing that confuses me when reading some descriptions is how they use the word "radios" for things. I don't get what that means or why they are calling it a bluetooth radio or whatever. Also, there are some comments in the app saying that it has not been tested or something. That just doesn't make me want to use the app. I'll play with it some more and see if I can configure it the way I would like. If you have any other tips please let me know.

I totally understand your questions! I was in the same place myself as I was used to Apple where you couldn't fiddle with these settings if you wanted to. The nice thing about JD Ultimate is you can grow into it - which is what I did, and I'm sure you will too. The more I learn, and the more I "require" from my phone, the more I go back and say, "Ah, that's what that settings about. Yeah, I want that!" So you can leave something alone until you're ready, then play with settings and see what you think.

Radios are just things that transmit or receive electromagnetic waves - so they are asking you if you want JD to control bluetooth, data, wifi, etc. And yes, the "not fully tested" warnings can be scary but they are just trying to warn you so if you do have problems you can come back and turn it off. You're not going to brick your phone or anything. I have not had any problems with any of them that I've turned on - like Bluetooth and Brightness.

I still go back and fiddle with settings based on what I'm going to be doing that day. One of the things I like about JD is how easy it is to do that. So for example, if I know I'm going to be bouncing on and off my phone a lot at home, I'll just go into Triggers>Location select my home network and Keep Enabled so it doesn't have to reconnect every time. I might just leave it like that because I haven't noticed any depreciation in battery life. But if I leave my home network, it just turns off the wifi, and starts connecting to data on the schedule I've set (every 15 minutes). I also have it set so that certain apps will maintain connection even if the screen is off - which I set up under Controls>Keep enabled.

So play with it and realize you're not going to break anything. Start simple - maybe even just use the presets - and then branch into the Advanced mode as you get more comfortable.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I used Juice D on my Bionic. It really did extend it's extended battery life. The down side was that everytime I woke up the Bionic, it took a slight bit of time to become functional (not long, maybe a few seconds). I could always dial instantly.

I now use the Razr maxx w/o JD. Likely I will put jd on the Maxx. It really does help.

I want to wait until the Honneymoon with the Maxx is over b4 I install jd on the Maxx. I may not need it once the bliss is over with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ltcalex

Reaction score
Improving battery life....

SallyC,

I just gave your name as one who has tested and uses the JD on my parrell thread I've been running on improviing the battery life of the RAZR. Kudos to yu and all who do see that it "compliments" Smart Actions; does not substitute for it. Yesterday I ran for 18 hours, waking at 4:00 am for work and start a recharge at 10:00 pm with 20% left on my battery. To me this is great compared to my previous BB.

SallyC

Reaction score
SallyC,

I just gave your name as one who has tested and uses the JD on my parrell thread I've been running on improviing the battery life of the RAZR. Kudos to yu and all who do see that it "compliments" Smart Actions; does not substitute for it. Yesterday I ran for 18 hours, waking at 4:00 am for work and start a recharge at 10:00 pm with 20% left on my battery. To me this is great compared to my previous BB.

I'm really glad it's working well for you. I feel badly for folks struggling with battery life when, at least for me, JD can make such a difference. It's so flexible and powerful I can't imagine trying to do all it does with SAs. As much as I like fiddling with SAs. :)

Glad to hear your experiences are positive too.

OP
S

Scott0719

Reaction score
Kudos to yu and all who do see that it "compliments" Smart Actions; does not substitute for it.

How exactly does it "compliment" smart actions? I thought it would be more of a replacement or they might conflict with each other.

Thanks for what you said in you last post to me Sally. That was very helpful again. I decided to leave it set to balanced rather than advanced for now and i'll either just forget about it or change things as I go. I have one question for you and anyone else who might know the answer. When I go into my battery settings it says my level is at 50% right now but the green bar at the top is definitely not at 50%. Its more like 70 or 80%. Is this a side effect from JD or is it something with my phone?

SallyC

Reaction score
How exactly does it "compliment" smart actions? I thought it would be more of a replacement or they might conflict with each other.

Thanks for what you said in you last post to me Sally. That was very helpful again. I decided to leave it set to balanced rather than advanced for now and i'll either just forget about it or change things as I go. I have one question for you and anyone else who might know the answer. When I go into my battery settings it says my level is at 50% right now but the green bar at the top is definitely not at 50%. Its more like 70 or 80%. Is this a side effect from JD or is it something with my phone?

I use JD for most everything, but it doesn't mean there's no use for SAs. For example, I have a SA to put my phone on vibrate every Sunday during the time I am in church. There's nothing in that SA that will conflict with JD so in that way they compliment each other.

As far as your battery icon not being a really good indicator of your % in Settings, many others have the same thing. It's not related to using JD. I use Battery Indicator Pro and have a little battery in my notification bar that reads in 1% increments and is accurate. If you install it, go to Menu, Settings, Other settings and enable the 1 % hack. Battery Circle also works.

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
I totally understand your questions! I was in the same place myself as I was used to Apple where you couldn't fiddle with these settings if you wanted to. The nice thing about JD Ultimate is you can grow into it - which is what I did, and I'm sure you will too. The more I learn, and the more I "require" from my phone, the more I go back and say, "Ah, that's what that settings about. Yeah, I want that!" So you can leave something alone until you're ready, then play with settings and see what you think.

Radios are just things that transmit or receive electromagnetic waves - so they are asking you if you want JD to control bluetooth, data, wifi, etc. And yes, the "not fully tested" warnings can be scary but they are just trying to warn you so if you do have problems you can come back and turn it off. You're not going to brick your phone or anything. I have not had any problems with any of them that I've turned on - like Bluetooth and Brightness.

I still go back and fiddle with settings based on what I'm going to be doing that day. One of the things I like about JD is how easy it is to do that. So for example, if I know I'm going to be bouncing on and off my phone a lot at home, I'll just go into Triggers>Location select my home network and Keep Enabled so it doesn't have to reconnect every time. I might just leave it like that because I haven't noticed any depreciation in battery life. But if I leave my home network, it just turns off the wifi, and starts connecting to data on the schedule I've set (every 15 minutes). I also have it set so that certain apps will maintain connection even if the screen is off - which I set up under Controls>Keep enabled.

So play with it and realize you're not going to break anything. Start simple - maybe even just use the presets - and then branch into the Advanced mode as you get more comfortable.

How exactly do you edit the Wi-Fi setting in JD? I am on wifi alot at home and everytime the phone locks it disables everything including my wifi. It then turns back on when i unlock the phone but it takes awhile. So if somebody good enlighten me on how to set it up so it doesn't turn wifi off everytime my phone locks....that would be great

SallyC

Reaction score
How exactly do you edit the Wi-Fi setting in JD? I am on wifi alot at home and everytime the phone locks it disables everything including my wifi. It then turns back on when i unlock the phone but it takes awhile. So if somebody good enlighten me on how to set it up so it doesn't turn wifi off everytime my phone locks....that would be great

Go to the Triggers tab, then enable Location. If you haven't done this before you will want to select your home network and enable it. Then select its Option button and select Keep enabled. Now your connection will stay on until you're not on that network.

Cool, eh?

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
SallyC, my fellow JD addict lol. Those that don't like it usually didn't take the time to learn how to harness the somewhat complex settings!

Sent from my AXI0M AOKP using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
SallyC, my fellow JD addict lol. Those that don't like it usually didn't take the time to learn how to harness the somewhat complex settings!

Sent from my AXI0M AOKP using DroidForums

It really is an impressive app! And I do love learning its possibilities. :D