Jelly Bean and Battery Life

Telescopist

Reaction score
If this topic has been thrashed to death, I'll apologize in advance. Since my OTA last week, I've noticed a substantial decline in battery life. Most of it seems to be associated with App Usage - 65.3% currently. In particular the Kernal is hogging 29.7%, System 15.1% and Maps 7.1%. Since I have no way of knowing one way or another would somebody please comment on whether or not this is 'normal' consumption. As well if there is anything I can do to conserve resources. Thanks.

devdeuce

Reaction score
If this topic has been thrashed to death, I'll apologize in advance. Since my OTA last week, I've noticed a substantial decline in battery life. Most of it seems to be associated with App Usage - 65.3% currently. In particular the Kernal is hogging 29.7%, System 15.1% and Maps 7.1%. Since I have no way of knowing one way or another would somebody please comment on whether or not this is 'normal' consumption. As well if there is anything I can do to conserve resources. Thanks.

I can't say I've ever seen apps use anywhere near that much. You can set up a smart action that will only sync apps while you are using them, I'd think that'd help in your situation

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
I can't say I've ever seen apps use anywhere near that much. You can set up a smart action that will only sync apps while you are using them, I'd think that'd help in your situation

Okay then. If it isn't too much trouble please tell me how to set up a smart action. Is there a android utility out there that I should download. Thanks.

devdeuce

Reaction score
Okay then. If it isn't too much trouble please tell me how to set up a smart action. Is there a android utility out there that I should download. Thanks.

Smart actions should be on your phone. You may have to turn it on. One of the default actions is called battery saver, if you open that action, the bottom most action is adjust background data. If you click on that you have three options, the lowest one is what I mentioned and if it works should save the most battery.

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
Smart actions should be on your phone. You may have to turn it on. One of the default actions is called battery saver, if you open that action, the bottom most action is adjust background data. If you click on that you have three options, the lowest one is what I mentioned and if it works should save the most battery.

Understood. I have the phone turned off now and in charge mode. It is the Kernal that is eating up the battery life. Then Google Maps. I wonder if there will be a way of limiting actions with respect to the Kernal. Why do 'upgrades' re: the device always seem to be more trouble than there worth? This is a real pain. I was cruising along just fine with Gingerbread. Now as I understand it, I won't even be able to tether the phone without shelling out an additional $30 per month. Thanks Verizon.

devdeuce

Reaction score
The big difference for me from ics is Android OS is using way more battery.

helron

Reaction score
I can't seem to remember the names of the forums (here) dealing with this issue, but if u check my name u may be able to find them. FOXCATs calibration method is great, so look for it.dd
Like u I loved ICS, but JB has killed my battery, too. I am very disappointed and use barely any of the Smartphone goodies. Google Now requires GPS and that kills my phone. UGH!

TriciaH

Reaction score
My battery life is still good but not as good as it used to be. I am finding system mediaserver is keeping the phone awake all the time. If the phone has been unplugged for 20 hours then mediaserver will have kept it awake for 19 hours and 30 minutes.

Last edited:

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
This is weird. When ICS came out people complained about horrible battery life. Now JB comes out and they complain about worse battery life than when on ICS!

Crazy as it may seem to y'all my battery life increased quite a bit after JB. Now it did run my media server pretty high at first for the first few days but it cleared up and I super satisfied with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NWRULES

Reaction score
This is weird. When ICS came out people complained about horrible battery life. Now JB comes out and they complain about worse battery life than when on ICS!

Crazy as it may seem to y'all my battery life increased quite a bit after JB. Now it did run my media server pretty high at first for the first few days but it cleared up and I super satisfied with it.

Yeah, it's crazy cause my battery life actually got a little better after the update too. I actually have smart actions disabled too. Felt like it was using too much battery? Not even sure if that's possible?.....

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
One thing I always recommend after an OTA is a FDR... yes it is a pain in the butt, but usually clears up any issues your system is having because of old files merging with the new ones... My 2 cents.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
My battery life is fantastic with the JB update. The original JB rollout dropped it from about 18 hours with ICS down to 12 hours with version .211. At that point I used Matt's fix and brought the battery life with .215 up to 22 hours. Then for the latest JB stock update, my battery life is over 30 hours, without doing an FDR. I don't use Google now, and keep away from most widgets. I also keep my location and bluetooth off with the power strip, except when I have the need to use them, and I disabled some unnecessary bloatware.

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score

I put the phone on a charger at around 2pm yesterday. Used it very little. It was 'inactive' from 10pm to 8pm. GSam says I'm down to 64%. Application Usage constitutes 50% whith the Kernel the biggest offender - 37.4%. I'm not happy at all. Here is what I am thinking about doing. Desperate times require desperate measures. I thinking about going into Settings>Privacy>and doing a Factory data reset. Then re-install only the applications that I need and see if I can improve battery life. First though, I’d like to know if whether battery life may be compromised by the fact that Google apps access to my location is switched ‘on’. Notes indicated that while switched on Google apps access locations even while not in use. Non –Google apps are turned off in Settings>Location access. Will turning these things off have an effect on battery consumption? What if anything is the downside? Will I no longer be able to use tools like Car Home Ultra and Google Maps/Navigation tools?

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I too have seen about a 20% drop in battery life since the JB update. Kernal rules the heap with over 60% most of the time. Maps 2nd. It seems to be settling down over the past day or so. FDR, clear Cache and battery monitor calibration hasn't affected it in the least. At least with the Maxx, I still get through the day fine.

lghtngblt02

Reaction score
I guess I am one of the few who have seen an increase in battery life... went from aroudn 14 hrs avg to nearly 20 hrs pn charge and I have changed nothing other than the update. I did clear the cache after the update though.