Jdlfg kernels won't work on my phone. PERIOD

briangp

Reaction score
I can't figure this one out, because I definitely get the best performance out of his kernels..... but they absolutely KILL my battery life. No matter what kernel I use my battery will die within a few hours. I switched to CM6 for ****s n giggles with their stock kernel my battery lasted for days. Why do I have such horrible batt life? I run my kernels in "OnDemand" scaling.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jdlfg

Reaction score
I can't figure this one out, because I definitely get the best performance out of his kernels..... but they absolutely KILL my battery life. No matter what kernel I use my battery will die within a few hours. I switched to CM6 for ****s n giggles with their stock kernel my battery lasted for days. Why do I have such horrible batt life? I run my kernels in "OnDemand" scaling.

Which version kernel are u running? Also what applications do u have and on which build?
MERRY XMAS by the way.

OP
B

briangp

Reaction score
Thanks man, same to you!

As for version, I am currently using the one that came in the lithmod 5 package. Strangely, I have been up for two hours now and I am still at 100%....lol. imagine that!

Previously though, I noticed that battery life was typically incorrectly reported with any of your kernels. 100 would drop to 50% fairrly quickly, and from 50% it would drop straight to 20%, soon to be dead. As for apps, I can't imagine them being the problem since I run the same apps no matter what rom. I would also use ATK prior to bedtime, but by the time I woke, my LED would be red.

All this kinda seems null now as strangely this kernel is working for the moment, I will keep you posted through the day.

OP
B

briangp

Reaction score
And your suggested alternative to ATK is? I don't use it that often, however with battery issues I felt the need for it.

At this time, its been roughly 14 hours and I plugged back in at 40%... seems like something is working a lot better with this kernel version. Light use throughout the day. Sound about par?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Best practice is to use your back key vs home to exit applications.

DroidForums junkie!!

dbst

Reaction score

DroidForums junkie!!

Unless your constantly using a certain app it would probably be better to use the home button and leave the app open

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

Viper323

Reaction score

DroidForums junkie!!

I second this, it's my understanding that certain apps are coded to actual be killed when exiting when using the back key vs running in the background when using the home key

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not hardly. When you leave an app open, it also has a "no shutdown" priority. Too many apps open like that WILL cause your phone to reboot itself. Similar to when an amplifier goes into protection.

DroidForums junkie!!

Unless your constantly using a certain app it would probably be better to use the home button and leave the app open

DroidForums junkie!!

dbst

Reaction score
Not hardly. When you leave an app open, it also has a "no shutdown" priority. Too many apps open like that WILL cause your phone to reboot itself. Similar to when an amplifier goes into protection.

DroidForums junkie!!

DroidForums junkie!!

But wouldn't it use more of your battery to be constantly opening and closing an app rather than leaving it open? I can understand closing an app that you don't use that often

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, when you use home, its open AND running (battery drain). When you use the back key, its left open (but not running) for x amount of time (or until another app needs the resources) in case you go back to it. Then the OS will shut it down.

DroidForums junkie!!

But wouldn't it use more of your battery to be constantly opening and closing an app rather than leaving it open? I can understand closing an app that you don't use that often

DroidForums junkie!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This type of argument used to get thrown around about light bulbs. If you're walking out of a room for a few minutes is it more prudent/power saving to leave the light on than turn it off. It turns out you would have to leave a room for less than five miliseconds for it to be more conservative to leave the light on. I have a felling the same is true here.

tappin and a talkin

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alternative is nothing. Android manages memory without it. ATK will shut down programs that are not using any battery and then when you re-open them you will use battery.

Therefore ATK uses more battery than without.

ATK uses battery
The programs it closes use battery when you re-open them.

And your suggested alternative to ATK is? I don't use it that often, however with battery issues I felt the need for it.

At this time, its been roughly 14 hours and I plugged back in at 40%... seems like something is working a lot better with this kernel version. Light use throughout the day. Sound about par?

OP
B

briangp

Reaction score
Task killer doesn't run in memory for me. What you guys fail to mention is its usefulness when it comes to closing apps that are frozen, or are programmed in a way that will not free up memory when exited. Pandora can be a prime example for this one. If I pick up wifi at a mcdonalds while its playing...it will freeze and lock up. You can exit it all day, but it will not close.

You guys bring valid points to the table, but I think you missed the important one.

So how about we focus on the topic, lol

droidbrm

Reaction score
Go to setting applications manage applications select the running tab and force close. Does the same thing just better.