I've finally flashed SD 4.5 - now what?!?

TDJ112

Reaction score
Ok, after reading this site and everything root/rom for the last couple of months ive finally decided to take the plunge from stock root to ROM. (Thanks to hashcode's safe strap) I just flashed SD 4.5

But now im in a whole new land/phone and I just dont know where to start. Im pretty much using only my stock ROM and I only switch over to SD to try to tinker every now and then.

From what I've gathered, everything runs through Go-launcher (stock everything runs on blur rite?) and im very slowly starting to learn. But it's just so new and starts to frustrate me so i just go back to stock. And i havent even really gotten to themes yet.

I dont expect anyone to write a step by step post, just please point me in the right direction...Are there any tutorials, insturctions, guides, ect that can help me figure out what's going on....

Thanks!

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
If your just getting started, I would stick with Gingerbread ROM's for now, (less/no bugs) untill you get a hang of things.Ive never tried SD but I head that its solid. As far as your Launcher is concerned, there are others out there besides Go. Go is nice and a ton of customizations but I can see you getting overwhelmed. Try ADW Launcher EX out.

Theres lots of info on what you can do once your rooted, not sure what your trying to do but theres plenty of knowledgeable people here.

OP
T

TDJ112

Reaction score
^^

Thanks....ADW is alot easier for now!

OK....I've been browsing through the main thread and found a few things that will help.

Im mainly looking to increase battery life....I saw this post below and am currently in the process of wiping batt stats...

ROM installed without a hitch. Had it for a few days now letting it settle in. I installed speedy V7, running juice defender on aggressive and the battery life to me seems much worse than when I was on Liberty 2.0. Anyone else noticing this?
Did you wipe battery cache? Every time you flash a rom you need to charge phone to 100% reboot into safestrap go to advanced and wipe battery cache roboot and let the battery go dead when the phone shuts off charge it to full let it die again charge it to full again then u should be good to go

Would it matter after I charge full, wipe batt stats, and revert back to stock ROM temporarily until my batt goes dead? Or is it necessary i stay in SD ROM the whole time? Why is wiping the battery stats necessary to begin with?

What battery app yall think works best with SD? Juice Defender? Set CPU?

Also, should I flash all the Add-ons? For example ill never use visual voicemail....but should i just install it anyway to avoid any bugs or glitches?

Last edited:
OP
T

TDJ112

Reaction score
One more question.

When I first rooted, I immediately made a backup of my stock ROM, pre flash.....Now im in safe mode with SD 4.5, can/should I make a separate backup of the base ROM pre-theme....Is that the general practice?

Basically what im asking is: Can you make backups in safe mode? Or is that where Titanium Backup comes in? Or is that where some of yall bring bootstrap into play (from what i understood, the bootstrap over safestrap is to toggle b/w 2 diff ROMS)?

BTW.....Im UTFSE-ing as much as possible....just need to form my base knowledge then i can build and figure things out much easier from there.

Any links to 'For Dummies' guides on Go-Launcher, Themes, ect would be much appreciated...If not, I'd like to take the initiative and write one once I get up to a reasonable knowledge level....

Thanks in advance tho!

Last edited:

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
^^

Thanks....ADW is alot easier for now!

OK....I've been browsing through the main thread and found a few things that will help.

Im mainly looking to increase battery life....I saw this post below and am currently in the process of wiping batt stats...

Would it matter after I charge full, wipe batt stats, and revert back to stock ROM temporarily until my batt goes dead? Or is it necessary i stay in SD ROM the whole time? Why is wiping the battery stats necessary to begin with?

What battery app yall think works best with SD? Juice Defender? Set CPU?

Also, should I flash all the Add-ons? For example ill never use visual voicemail....but should i just install it anyway to avoid any bugs or glitches?

Juice Defender seems to be a matter of opinion with some people. I personally use it myself. If your on your phone constantly throughout the day, you wont see much savings though. Data sucks a lot of your battery and thats one of the things that JD shuts off when your phone is off/screen is off.
I dont use Set CPU anymore because I dont feel the need to overclock/underclock my phone.

You charge your battery, then wipe stats.
Ive never used SD before so dont know about the add-ons. If you dont use it, dont worry about it. Its just that devs usually de-bloat the ROM, to speed things up so you shouldnt have any VZW stuff on there. He probably has add-ons for people that still use certain VZW apps.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
One more question.

When I first rooted, I immediately made a backup of my stock ROM, pre flash.....Now im in safe mode with SD 4.5, can/should I make a separate backup of the base ROM pre-theme....Is that the general practice?

Basically what im asking is: Can you make backups in safe mode? Or is that where Titanium Backup comes in? Or is that where some of yall bring bootstrap into play (from what i understood, the bootstrap over safestrap is to toggle b/w 2 diff ROMS)?

BTW.....Im UTFSE-ing as much as possible....just need to form my base knowledge then i can build and figure things out much easier from there.

Any links to 'For Dummies' guides on Go-Launcher, Themes, ect would be much appreciated...If not, I'd like to take the initiative and write one once I get up to a reasonable knowledge level....

Thanks in advance tho!

You use TB to backup certain/all apps if need be. You can also backup/restore date to certain apps. This comes in handy especially if you play games. Whenever you wipe data you will lose your game data.
Safestrap I use to backup/install the entire ROM. You will also restore backed up ROM's there as well. Once in safe mode you can do whatever you want as far as flashing, backing up. You can stay in safe mode. Usually when going from ROM to ROM you would make a backup of the current ROM that you are on, just in case you run into problems. you can always go back. After a while if you start to run out of storage space, you can always delete old backups.

OP
T

TDJ112

Reaction score
Yea im way overthinking it....Thx for the clarification tho