It's a honeycomb deal!

doniago

Reaction score
If you want to save almost a dollar - ASUS 16GB Eee Pad Transformer Tablet TF101-A1 B&H Photo Video

I think Acer may have missed the boat by not including any explicit docking capabilities.

The big issue for me is that if I wanted net capability while I'm at work I'd likely have to wi-fi tether to my phone. $20/month if I want to do it on the up-and-up, which isn't horrible but isn't great.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The advantage this one would potentially have for me is the full-size USB port. Some might not think that's a big deal, but I used the full-size USB port on the G Tablet all the time while I had it. One of the major functions of a tablet for me is to making reading the dozens of articles I have to go through every day easier, and all of them are PDFs. Being able to drop them on a flash drive and pop it in on the go is a lifesaver in a lot of situations. The Toshiba Thrive has been my targeted tablet for awhile now, but the lower price on this one just might get me to bite.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The advantage this one would potentially have for me is the full-size USB port. Some might not think that's a big deal, but I used the full-size USB port on the G Tablet all the time while I had it. One of the major functions of a tablet for me is to making reading the dozens of articles I have to go through every day easier, and all of them are PDFs. Being able to drop them on a flash drive and pop it in on the go is a lifesaver in a lot of situations. The Toshiba Thrive has been my targeted tablet for awhile now, but the lower price on this one just might get me to bite.
I would definitely head down to a Bestbuy and play with one first. I've tried the Acer--not yet the Asus--but my sense is the Asus would feel better in the hands. Based on trying the Acer...it's nice but clunky. A notch above the gTab which I own and love, but probably not quite as nice as the Asus.

Of course, the USB issue is a good one. Maybe that's the deal breaker for you? If so, I'd give it a few weeks and see if you can get your hands on the Thrive.

-Matt

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I would definitely head down to a Bestbuy and play with one first. I've tried the Acer--not yet the Asus--but my sense is the Asus would feel better in the hands. Based on trying the Acer...it's nice but clunky. A notch above the gTab which I own and love, but probably not quite as nice as the Asus.

Of course, the USB issue is a good one. Maybe that's the deal breaker for you? If so, I'd give it a few weeks and see if you can get your hands on the Thrive.

-Matt

I've used both the Acer and the Asus. I didn't seem to experience any of the issues that some have had with the Acer. I actually preferred the metal feel of the Acer to the plastic of the Asus. Overall, it just felt better when I was holding it. And the USB port is a deal breaker for me. I won't sacrifice a feature that I know I'll use daily for a device that is slightly thinner or a little lighter. This discounted price on the Acer is just about right for me. And there are just as many positive reviews out there for it as there are reviews that express disappointment over it. A friend of mine has the Asus, and I've found it to be lacking in a lot of ways for me. Now, if I were interested in the keyboard dock, that would completely change things. But I have no interest in that. If I'm doing something that requires a keyboard, I'll be doing it on my laptop.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can you comment on the Asus screen? I've got the Nook Color, which is pretty breath-taking. Makes the gTab look...well, I don't think I can type that word.

But I've heard the Asus may also have backlight bleed issues.

-Matt

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Can you comment on the Asus screen? I've got the Nook Color, which is pretty breath-taking. Makes the gTab look...well, I don't think I can type that word.

But I've heard the Asus may also have backlight bleed issues.

-Matt

The Asus screen is pretty darn good from my time with it. I have yet to notice any backlight bleeding on my friend's. I haven't spent much time with the Nook Color, and it's been awhile since I did, so I really can't say how it compares there. It's a top notch IPS screen though.

Mandroidx

Reaction score
i have seen in multiple reviews that the Asus Tablet has an amazing screen that beats the xoom tablet plus I wouldn't really compare either of these to a Froyo tablet anyways we are talking about 3.0 here right?

gatewayad

Reaction score

Update, I ordered this tablet yesterday around noon central time, got my UPS shipping acknowledgment from Ebay around 6pm last night with it not showing up in the system, 8:00 this morning tracked it again and showed on truck for delivery at 10:20 this morning it showed up, sealed and new with a manufacture date of May 2011
I'm very happy
MacMall seems to be a very stand up company and i will buy from again

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Update, I ordered this tablet yesterday around noon central time, got my UPS shipping acknowledgment from Ebay around 6pm last night with it not showing up in the system, 8:00 this morning tracked it again and showed on truck for delivery at 10:20 this morning it showed up, sealed and new with a manufacture date of May 2011
I'm very happy
MacMall seems to be a very stand up company and i will buy from again
That's too funny. I held off on posting the Asus link because you just bought the Acer! Didn't want to spoil your fun...buy you found the same deal. :biggrin: I'm guessing that it's asking too much for you to pick up the Asus as well, and post back with a thorough comparison of the two??? Well, if so, please make sure to give us your impressions of the Iconia...or Iconita...or whichever it is. ;)

-Matt

doniago

Reaction score
I ended up ordering a Transformer + Keyboard...though I did my math wrong and probably spent more than I should have. :wacko: Hopefully the Transformer will include a decent calculator so that I can avoid such errors going forward.