It's a Droid! Can it auto power on/off?

girlred2

Reaction score
Pleased to announce the arrival of a new Droid on Monday, April 19th at 3:45pm! Weighs a few ounces and isn't very long but is cute as a button! We are settleing nicely so far but have a few questions that i'm hoping other members can help out with. First...one of the few things I miss about my BB Storm - perhaps the only thing I miss, actually - is that I could set it to power off/on at certain time so I didn't have to leave it on all night but long enough to get some amusing late night calls from tipsy friends that I still enjoy for some reason. I liked that it could then power on in the a.m. so that it could be one of three alarms trying to wake me for work. Is there an app like this for Droid? Also, I don't like that it has to be on when charging - any work around? And I've been told that i'm cute as a cherub so maybe I have really chubby cheeks but I am forever hitting keys during phone calls which confuses me a great deal..."wait, I have another call coming in...oh, no I guess I don't...wtf was that noise". Is it just me? :icon_eek:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The Droid cannot self terminate, you must lower it into the steel...err I mean, hold the power button and force it to power off, this is due to com.google.android.awareness. Nah really thought I don't know why there isn't an option to do this simply for the sake of satisfying everyone. Honestly though I don't know why you'd want to turn the phone off, I mean you can put it in silent mode so it doesn't bother you, and what's the point in saving that little bit of battery life? If you already shelled out $200+ for the phone, a new battery purchase sometime in the future isn't that big a deal. I guess I can't fathom being "out of the loop" for that period of time so I keep mine on all the time, only turning it off long enough to turn it back on (power cycle after so many days of uptime).

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome to the forums girlred. The long and short of it is.

No you can't have it off while charging, no auto shutdown and start-up and your long hair is interfering with the sensor.

Move your hair out of the way while on calls.

Enjoy the forums

OP
G

girlred2

Reaction score
How did you know I have long hair? :) Are you for real or will i just look really stupid trying to pull my hair back all the time? :icon_evil: Thanks for the answers!

offcamberjk

Reaction score
Blackberrys can auto on off because they don't fully power off like the Droid. Its more of just a sleep state. When you turn off the Droid it is completely off.

rkeller62

Reaction score
How did you know I have long hair? :) Are you for real or will i just look really stupid trying to pull my hair back all the time? :icon_evil: Thanks for the answers!
rofl -- ck, it seems, knows all...

Seriously, it was most likely an educated guess as the Droid has an infrared proximity sensor that shuts the screen down when on a call. Since yours wasn't doing that something was preventing the sensor from working (your hair).

To see this in action call someone and put phone in speaker mode, then put your finger over the top left area of screen and watch it turn off. Remove finger and screen will come back on.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
You can't exactly have your Droid "auto off" and "auto on", but you can download apps that can automatically put your phone in and out of airplane mode (turn off all radios), which is similar to what you were doing with your blackberry. It will not receive phone calls, and it'll save battery life while in airplane mode.

One app that I know of is Locale.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
CK is just plain psycho (I mean psychic). The problem you describe with the proximity sensor is one we hear a lot and it usually happens to people with long hair or sideburns, And because your screen name kind of gives you away, he assumed you only had the long hair. Anyway, welcome to the forum, girlred2! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! Hope you enjoy your time here!

:welcome:

Last edited:

rkeller62

Reaction score
AnneDroid, I think you had it right the first time -- psycho!! jk.

Oh yeah, and welcome to your lovely new bundle of droidness too girlred!

OP
G

girlred2

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your replies and for the laughs! I did download Timeriffice and it seems to be working fine (other than some user errors). The hair thing is still driving me nuts but at least now I know what the problem is and just have to figure out exactly what position my hair/head must be in to hold a decent conversation. And perhaps I need to groom my sideburns! You guys are great and you'll be hearing a lot more from me as I try to figure out all the great stuff Droid can do. Have a great weekend everyone.