It is now safe to stop panicking and start enjoying tech

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When android first came on the scene I understood the concern users had. It was the new kid on the block that was treated like the little brother. Popular apps that would work on ios, blackberry world, and windows os, was not supported on android. The developer community through there efforts worked to get apps and features to work on android while we awaited big name developers to take android serious. Fast forward a few year later and vzw (which previously decided to put its weight behind android after the iphone deal fell through) now made a deal to bring the iphone to vzw. For a company standpoint it was a smart move being some users bought the droid because they did not want to go to at&t for the iphone. Finally those on vzw who have been patiently awaiting the iphone could finally get their phone. In preparation for the iphone vzw made many changes that sparked a debate/ concern for the company bending over backward for the iPhone and with that brought a concern for some that android was nearing its end especially with the resurgence of windows with the windows 7 (8) platform. Here we are now and android is still standing, infact I would argue that android is now stronger. Because android manufacturers have to battle it out with (arguably) the king of the smartphone on every network, they have to bring their A game or risk falling by the waste side. This year has shown the strength in androids ability to innovate thanks to competing against other platforms along with manufacturers running the same platform. Even the hard nosed motorola has learned the error in its ways. The comment a year back "you can go buy somewhere else" (Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs – Droid Life) resulted in a new change in leadership when the company realize that people buying somewhere else will eventually result in no sells and a loss in stock holders. In a dog-eat-dog world of technology it will be imperative for companies to hold on to their fan base as other companies fight to grab more and more fans. Hopefully companies like motorola continue to understand this and embrace both the every day user as well has the root user. SO as we go into another year and see yet another iPhone it is ok for users to breathe now. The war between platforms should be fought by the manufacturers and not the customers. The choice should be decided with our wallets.

[video=youtube;UXMyJe-suHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXMyJe-suHs[/video]

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It is funny pc because the only reason I got android is because I went from blackberry to the Samsung omni windows 6. It was impossible to type on that tiny keyboard. When the og Droid hit the scene, I had to have it...only because I wanted the full physical keyboard. Android was new and the developer community jumped on that thing. By the end of my first year with that Droid, I had tried a ton of roms (my favorite was chevyno1 SS), discovered swype (never to open that physical keyboard again), and pushed that thing well beyond its physical limitations. I may try windows again just for the heck of it but Android has amazed me from the beginning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I WANT the phones to be very competitive for our wallest. Before i would have never considered an iphone but with this new one i actually might get it. Lets not forget windows, the same with the iphone i would have never considered it but with the nokia lumina 920 i might actually bite the bullet. To me this is great because now i'm considering different Os. I at least want to wait until the nokia and the next line of nexus devices(hopefully they create verizon versions of these) to come out before i make my decision. So now before it was just android, but now i'm considering android, windows, and ios. To me this is great.