issues with getting all contacts sync'd up with facebook

bison

Reaction score
hello! i've searched the forums here and cannot find any help to my problem :/

i just got my ally today, sync'd it w/ my facebook acct (not thru socialite) and am having a problem w/ some of my contacts not sync'ing with the facebook profiles. anyone who's name is in my contacts like it is on their facebook is sync'd just fine. my problem is w/ my friends who i have in my phone under their nicknames, or my mom and dad. i dont want to have my dad listed in my phone by his name, i'm used to his number being under "dad". i cannot find an option to link up individually a contact to a facebook profile. has anyone found a resolution? please and thank you!

joseserna08

Reaction score
On my Droid, there's an option when I edit contact to merge. Click contact, edit, menu, then merge.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
B

bison

Reaction score
unfortunately that is not an opt in the ally... when you go into the contact, edit, menu... there is no merge. there is something called "join", but thats used to join other numbers in the contacts w/ that number... not to a FB :/ thank you for responding though!

EDIT: ok, using "join" does connect it to the facebook, however it puts the contact name to the FB name, not the name i personally entered in my contacts. so this still isnt helpful... :/ i dont want to pull up "wayne" instead of "dad".... booooo.....

RE EDIT: thank you again! after selecting "join" i have to retype the name that i want the contact to be, even if that means typing what is already there. it will override the FB name. thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

OP
B

bison

Reaction score
$&%#*($$^((%

nope forget what i just said, its still not doing this to all of them... only a choice few does this work-around seem to help. WTF why have FB sync if this is such an issue?!?!? I DONT WANT EVERYONES FULL NAME IN MY CONTACTS!!!!!

joseserna08

Reaction score
Try unjoining the contacts and then joining again. Try selecting the dad contact, and joining to Wayne contact. And vice versa. I ran into the same problem with one of my contacts. His fb is his real name, and I call him by his nickname. Hope it works for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
B

bison

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me either. I join "wayne" to "dad", which overrides "dad". Editing it once joined does nothing, seeing as when I hit edit it sometimes will still show "dad" as the given name. Unjoining them makes "dad" appear. Also too, trying you suggestion of joining "wayne" to "dad" and then joining that back to "dad" still doesn't work. The facebook name always overrides my nickname.... thank you though for trying to help! Its just frustrating because I know this phone can do this, yet it doesn't. :/

flipflop1970

Reaction score
I have friends that we use our user names form a local forum that I use instead of their real names. I had to type in real names from facebook in google to get them to sync when I first got my phone. (i'm sure there was an easier way).

Anyways, I just now made a new contact with one of them as the username and their mobile number. I then saved it. I went back to the new contact I just saved and went to edit that contact. I tapped join, and then joined with the facebook synced contact. and then clicked done. I did not retype anything.

example:

Facebook contact: John Doe

Nickname is want to see: Doeball.

I make doeball, join with john doe, and tap done... contacts are merged and name on phone is doeball

OP
B

bison

Reaction score
hmmm... thats essentially what i've been doing, however when i create the contact name i want, "dad", then turn on the sync, it automatically links it w/ "wayne". going in to edit it back to "dad" does nothing either. (FB overrides it) is there another way to be able to "join" contacts one by one w/out turning on the FB sync? (that sounds like a dumb question, i know T-T) i've been choosing to sync w/ my contacts only, that way i dont have everyones number and info in my phone. but if i dont have any sync on at all leaves no option to join to a FB acct. if i select join when i'm not in sync w/ my contacts and FB, the only opts to join are w/ other contact numbers in my address book....

again, thanks everyone for trying to help me!