Issue connecting Droid RAZR through car auxiliary cable

abockler

Reaction score
I tried streaming some music for a road trip this weekend by connecting an auxiliary cable into my phone's headphone jack. I expected the audio to work, but the audio was still coming through the phone's speakers.

Am I missing a setting for the audio to be output through my car's speakers? Have others had issues with this?

aalb1

Reaction score
I have been through two razr's with the same problem... or malfunction. Send it back for a refurb. :(

jaybogg

Reaction score
I tried streaming some music for a road trip this weekend by connecting an auxiliary cable into my phone's headphone jack. I expected the audio to work, but the audio was still coming through the phone's speakers.

Am I missing a setting for the audio to be output through my car's speakers? Have others had issues with this?

Do normal headphones/earbuds work? If not, the jack may be the problem. It has been reported here before that lint collects in the headphone jack on the phone and keeps it from making a connection. I believe people have cleaned it out with small drill bits(using them like a pick, not in a drill!!)or a round wooden toothpick. I personally would break the end off the toothpick to make sure the smallest part doesn't break in the phone. I also remember something about alcohol being used but don't remember the details. I would also try looking in the hole with a flashlight and see if you see any debris. Hope this helps.

Edit: Poked around a bit and found a couple threads where paperclips were used to remove lint/debris.

Last edited:
OP
A

abockler

Reaction score
Something did the trick, but I'm not sure what.

I poked around in the jack gently with a paper clip, but saw no debris exit. I took a few deep breaths and delivered some powerful air and nothing shook out. After restarting the phone, I plugged headphones in, as well as an auxiliary cable to my car, and it seems to work.

Thanks for the tips, jaybogg.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Something did the trick, but I'm not sure what.

I poked around in the jack gently with a paper clip, but saw no debris exit. I took a few deep breaths and delivered some powerful air and nothing shook out. After restarting the phone, I plugged headphones in, as well as an auxiliary cable to my car, and it seems to work.

Thanks for the tips, jaybogg.

Glad its working, lets just hope it keeps working. One person reported the lint was at the very bottom (probably a little getting packed each time the plug pushed down), and I can't remember if the music had static noise or didn't play at all, but they reported it had built up enough to keep the proper sections of the jack (left, right, and ground) from making contact to the appropriate parts of the plug.

Out of curiosity, do you carry your phone in your pocket and do you use a case? Most problems have been experienced by people like me who carry it in the pockets with no case or loose in their purse with no case.

OP
A

abockler

Reaction score
It's often in my pocket, though usually at work it's on my desk. No case.

jaybogg

Reaction score
It's often in my pocket, though usually at work it's on my desk. No case.

Well, you have all the right symptoms, let's hope its cured. Bump the thread in a few days and let us know if it is a definite fix or the problem returned.