Is verizon using us as test subjects again

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wonder if google is not the only one using the nexus as a test device. I ask this because i am curious if the reception problem that is plaguing users is an issue that is a result of testing. Let me further explain. We know that the reporting from lte on the nexus , according to studies, is supposedly reporting lte accurate. Where as other phones may be having 3g reporting with lte which seems to help in stability. I wonder if vzw is wanting to see if lte is capable of everyday use on its own with out having it mixed with 3g. I may be reaching hear but i am on my second nexus with the same instability and i know a few in my area with the same. I am thinking its software similar to like the other devices which is why i am holding on (also seeing in the razr thread some complaints about lte dropping off. Hopefully this get fixed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

vtnerd

Reaction score
I don't know for sure (and the following is pure speculation), but it seems unlikely to me that phones would purposefully run their 3G and 4G radios simultaneously. Seems like a good way to kill the battery with very little benefit.

It's probably a software issue of some kind. Maybe even some kind of conflict between certain towers and the Nexus. I only say that because I haven't had any 4G problems at all and I doubt there are multiple versions of 4.0.2 in the wild. There has to be a cause and if it isn't the phones (b/c they are presumably identical) then it's down to the VZW network and/or environmental factors. But, like I said, that's pure speculation on my part. I know almost nothing about how cellular networks operate.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting, hadn't thought about Verizon testing the waters with just 4G being used.

rjcapp

Reaction score
I would add that the phone companies can't keep up with demand.

With all the growth aren't the networks over worked?

Snow02

Reaction score
I would add that the phone companies can't keep up with demand.

With all the growth aren't the networks over worked?

Nah. LTE has plenty of bandwidth right now. 3G was getting over-crowded though. That's part of the reason for the big push to get people on 4G phones.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I can confirm i had repeated 4g drops (10-15 per day) with the RAZR both at my work and home, on the other hand, having the Nexus since day one at the exact same locations and never had a drop (with the exception of the nationwide outages) i know other users are complaining but i have no issues.

I drive far on weekends to go off roading with my Jeep and i get to areas that have just 3g or no Data connection at all and the Nexus switches from 4g to 3g to 1g without issues.

I know its hard for some but all i can say is DancingNexus DancingNexus DancingNexus DancingNexus

And some more DancingNexus DancingNexus

Reaction score
I would like to add that I have only once had a drop. Maybe it wasn't even a drop of 4g that I experienced either. Also I typically only had 2 bars of 4g but since I woke up this am I have had 3 bars of 4g and my signal went from 103 to 95. I am running Revo HD 2.1.2 but haven't done changed anything in over a day.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
I have been on the Tbolt since launch day and experinced LTE/3G together all year. I am in LA Couny and the LTE is strong here. I do travel extensively through CA and noticed that in many areas I just cant seem to keep a signal...OR in buildings where I would get LTE I get 3G. I will say this about the GN, it does a much better job of transitioning between the 2. TB is notorious for dropping to 3G or even 1X and staying there!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it helps answer the question.....vzw. plans to terminate 3g at some point in the future

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If it helps answer the question.....vzw. plans to terminate 3g at some point in the future

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

I'm sure they do, a couple years after they stop selling 3G phones on contract.

Reaction score
verizon is phasing out 3g. that's why they're inundating the market with as many 4g phones as they can right now. this also explains the number of network issues and buggy phones.

so, in other words, you're wasting your time if you want to keep returning your 4g phones to verizon in the hopes that the next one won't have issues.