Is this possible?

Wasted117

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 32 gig micro sd card for my droid and I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to run apps from the sd card rather than saving the app from your sd card to your phone then running the app off of your phone. Is this possible? and if it is do I have to be rooted. One other question. If I do root my phone, should I save my contacts? Will they be deleted after recovery mode??

titans1

Reaction score
i dont know if its the same on the milestone or not but i think you may need to be rooted. I am rooted on a droid1 and i run everything from the sd card basically

adsfa34

Reaction score
Yep -- it's doable and it's actually a little faster r/w than running from your sdcard. It also helps those programs function normally while mounted to your sdcard if you mount it often for adb/moving files/playing music via USB, etc.

I do it all the time, but you also *DO* need to be rooted to do it. I recommend using Root Explorer. All you need to do is COPY the file from your sdcard to your /system/app or /data/app directory and chmod to 644 (rw-r-r--) and install. Reboot your phone and you're done.

Hope that helps.