Is there no hope for my Eris?

Bigwidge

Reaction score
So I broke my Eris in a car accident over the summer, Unfortunately the screen broke so I was unable to continue using it. For now it just sits in my drawer collecting dust. But I just wanted to double check to see if it is possible to fix this myself- since verizon wants to charge me the full price for a new phone. I saw something once about fixing the "digitizer" I think it was.... but I'm not sure if this is what would fix my phone. Here are some pictures of my phone to show the damage. It looks like the cause of the screen malfunction was that alot of pressure was put on it from the impact. The bottom half still is visible, and when I press in the part that wont display it still reacts and does things- I just cant see what I'm pressing. Not sure if the digitizer is whats broken or not.

IMG_3035.jpg
(phone turned off, no scratches or cracks on the screen itself)

IMG_3038.jpg
(Starting up the phone, It is on the HTC screen although you cant see it)

IMG_3039.jpg
(phone started, as you can see the bottom half is still visible, although there are two narrow lines that go through it.)

IMG_3040.jpg
(another pic of it turned on.)

So is there any hope for my eris?

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have heard tell of people buying parts off ebay and doing fixes themselves. Unless you are extremely tech savvy I would advise against that route. More than likely there is more wrong with the phone than just the screen and you will be throwing money down the toilet. I would go one of two routes:

1) Continue to complain to Verizon and see if you can get them to give you a refurbed replacement. Some have had luck doing this though it took multiple calls until they got the right customer support person. Persistence can pay off in this arena. One threat that may help is to threaten to buy a used dumb phone and to drop your data plan/calling plan to a cheaper one for the balance of your contract period. Verizon may be motivated to give you a replacement to keep that $30+/month coming in.

2) Buy a used Eris off of ebay or craigslist. This could save you money because it will typically be 1/2 to 3/4 the full price. I would think there are a lot of Eris' out there for sale but haven't actually checked myself.

ruthless101901

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to my Eris, fortunately it was semi functional. I went to the Verizon store and they got me an upgrade almost 2 months early. Maybe they can hook you up.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
B

Bigwidge

Reaction score
So I guess it is really not worth buying the digitizer if there might be more wrong with it... Oh well. I would go to verizon but it's been so long and I have an upgrade soon so its really not worth it. And honestly I hated my Eris (it was on 2.0) and was extremely slow and laggy with several issues. If I could have fixed it I was going to root and overclock, I just did my friends Droid 2 the other day. Thanks!

wolfpackdl90

Reaction score
get a phone off craigslist (mostly used, but some are new because people switch plans, etc...), in my area i can get a droid for around 120-150, droid 2 for about 200-250, and a droid x for about 250....also if you have insurance on your plan it will transfer to your new phone after 30 days (thats what the verizon person told me when i asked about my insurance plan).....

Threeball

Reaction score
I haven't priced stuff out but u should not be afraid to try to replace the screen. The eris comes apart easily and replacing parts will be a snap. I used to replace screens on my treos all the time (they were fragile) and the eris is no more complex mechanically. Search youtube for instructions and u'll probly answer ur q about whether its the digitizer at the same time.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App