Is there demand for a LARGER screen phone? POLL

DroidDoctor

Reaction score
Larger screen if the phone didn't get larger and the battery life didn't suffer. I purchased the extended battery with the phone and it should be the base level with more life available, IMHO.

+1 for higher resolution, too.

(It must be the younger crowd with good eyes and tiny fingers who like the little screens :p)

Of course, the Droid 2 is the first "phone" I've had to wear on my belt or pocket instead of inside.

- DD

tycedeano

Reaction score
I'm actually happy with the size and resolution of the T-Bolt, but wish I could read it outside in the sunlight...

zman6900

Reaction score
I think a 5" screen would be perfect for everything. The way I see it, the problem isn't 5" is too big but 5" toppled with the frame and border of the phone would make it way too big. What I believe they should do is design a phone with a screen that goes from edge to edge. The brand name logo's are unnecessary and don't belong on the screen. Cut those out and we could see about a 1/2" gain in screen size without expanding the actual size of the phone.

Just my thoughts. What do you guys think about them?

zman6900

Reaction score
I definitely feel like the DX is starting to get to that ridiculous size. It looks nice sure, but I can barely feel normal texting on it and I've got big hands. Can't imagine the average sized person being able to use it that well.

ATT's upcoming HTC phone is coming with a 4.5inch screen, and looks a bit bigger than the X.

To be honest, I would love that phone if it had a smaller screen.
IMO, 3.5 is too small, 3.7 is ok, 4.0 is perfect, 4.3 is good, anything over is ridiculous and should be a tablet.
4.0" perfect?...... You must have small hands. lol

Just messin' with ya. :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I think a 5" screen would be perfect for everything. The way I see it, the problem isn't 5" is too big but 5" toppled with the frame and border of the phone would make it way too big. What I believe they should do is design a phone with a screen that goes from edge to edge. The brand name logo's are unnecessary and don't belong on the screen. Cut those out and we could see about a 1/2" gain in screen size without expanding the actual size of the phone.

Have you tried a Streak? 5" is a bit awkward.

I think 4.3" is perfect, but I'd be willing to give 4.5" a shot. 5" is just a tad bit too big for an everyday, carry in your pocket device.

zman6900

Reaction score

I think 4.3" is perfect, but I'd be willing to give 4.5" a shot. 5" is just a tad bit too big for an everyday, carry in your pocket device.
that's what I'm talking about. There's too much frame on the phone. Imagine if they trimmed down the frame, It would probably be around the same size as the 4.3" line up with their frames.

I just measure my DX, It's 5 1/2" from edge to edge. Samsung Charge is 5 1/4" *Diagonally measured on both.

Last edited:
Reaction score
4.3 is perfect.

Anything higher might as well be a tablet.
I want to be able to use one hand holding my phone, and be able to reach every part of the screen easily.
4.3+ screens would make it hard for most people.

You might as well buy a tablet.

I was about to post something similar. I love the 4.3" screen but any bigger and I can't easily use it with one hand or even playing a game with both hands if you have to reach the upper corners quickly.

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score

that's what I'm talking about. There's too much frame on the phone. Imagine if they trimmed down the frame, It would probably be around the same size as the 4.3" line up with their frames.

I just measure my DX, It's 5 1/2" from edge to edge. Samsung Charge is 5 1/4" *Diagonally measured on both.

Yes + + + + + !

That's what I was trying to get at. To me it's not the screen size that annoys me it would be the total size of the phone. The mockup in the OP of the DX has what I feel is "realistic" in a manufacturing sense for screen/bezel. I did some measurements and it would be roughly 4.7in on the same size phone.

inversesrevni

Reaction score
I agree that 4.3 is an optimal screen size, its the resolution of this screen that should be upgraded next, not its physical screen size

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
k1ng617

k1ng617

Reaction score
Surprising! +40% of Droidforums members want a bigger screen. Now if only we can get our wish

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Bring on the bigger phone! I've got room to spare in all of my pockets with my X.

Eiji

Reaction score
I am a relatively large man at six foot five and weighing two hundred and eighty pounds. My hands just don't work with 3.7 and it takes effort to use a 4.0. Sure swipe helps but its not a solution. 4.3 is the smallest I can handle. I work for Best Buy Mobile and i use the Samsung infuse and its 4.5 screen all the time with no issues. While the big screen might not be for everyone I think at need more options. If theybare truly going to wipe PKBs off the market than there will be a demand for larger screens as well.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm 6ft 180, that's above average size in the US for a male, and a 4.5'' screen is going to be ridiculous in my hands. Think of the 80% of average sized guys/women, they'll never have a chance.

kookk

Reaction score
Im a pretty big guy at 6'4" and I find 4.3 to b e perfect. I do however wish my x2 screen was a tad shorter and wider. I've got huge palms and average fingers so by the time my palms find enough space to sit, there's no room left for my fingers to type

Sent from my DROID X2